Glen Haven Weekly Scoop: Week of October 11th
- Glen Haven ES will begin COVID random testing on Wednesday, October 13. These are weekly tests of a random sample of students and require the consent of a parent/guardian. Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) is partnering with Maryland Department of Health (MDH) and Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to administer COVID-19 rapid testing in all schools for students who exhibit possible symptoms of COVID-19 as well as random testing for asymptomatic students by CIAN Diagnostics. The use of rapid and random testing is an effort to minimize student quarantines and will be used in conjunction with the other safety measures we have in place. All testing is available at no charge to you and your insurance will not be billed for any test. Participation in the program is voluntary.
- Oct 11 – MCPS Open House (Columbus/Indigenous People’s Day)
- Oct 14 – Marking Period 1 Interims Distributed
COVID-19 Testing Information
COVID-19 tests will be administered by trained personnel.
The test involves a swab inside the front part of the nose. The swab should not hurt; however, your child may experience some slight but brief discomfort.
Your child’s test result will be provided to you, along with instructions with any next steps. The same consent form is now used for both the screening and rapid tests so families only need to sign one form for each child.
Consent Form in other languages: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/coronavirus/random-testing.aspx
I wanted to share a Go Fund Me link for one of our Glen Haven families. Please see directly below. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
October 5 – October 14 – MCAP Testing for grades 4 & 5 (see information below)
MSMC (Middle School Magnet Consortium) Virtual Open Houses (links on the school’s website):
- October 14, 2021 @ 6:00 p.m.- Loiederman MS
- October 20, 2021 @ 6:00 p.m. – Parkland MS
- October 26, 2021 @ 6:00 p.m. – Argyle MS
Magnet Schools’ Parent Presentation (links will be posted later):
- November 1, 2021 – Eastern MS and Takoma Park MS
Have you been amazed by a staff member? Has a staff member gone above and beyond for your child and you? We invite our school community to recognize the amazing work done by our GHES staff. Please use this form to submit a Staff Shout Out from your family: https://forms.gle/iwnjpXBtxiKp951S9
MCPS COVID Website:
COVID Rapid Testing & Quarantine Guidelines
Do you help completing the FARMS (free and reduced meals) application? Next week, Ms. Tsai will have a table set up by the outside entrance near the flagpole to assist families with completing the forms. Here are the dates and times for support:
Monday, October 11 and Friday, October 15
9:00 – 10:30 am and 1:00 – 2:30 pm
FARMS Applications: https://www.myschoolapps.com/Application
Glen Haven ES will be participating in the Smart Sacks program again this year. Smart Sacks is a program that gives a sack full of food (whole grains, low sodium canned vegetables, lean proteins and healthier snack items) to elementary school children who would benefit from extra food for the weekend when there is no school lunch or breakfast. Every Friday (beginning 10/22), children who are participating in this program will pick up a bag at school that contains the food. This bag will be placed in their existing backpack for privacy. ** Please note that some of the items in this bag contain peanuts, milk, tree nuts, and other potential allergens.** If you are interested in having your family participate please fill out the below form. There are 14 spots still available. If you have any questions please let Rebecca Willis (email@example.com) know.
Smart Sacks Form:
WINTER SPORTS PROGRAMS
MASI Sports Academy will be running a FREE Sports Clinic on November 18, December 4 & December 18 from 9-12 pm at Glen Haven ES for children ages 3-10. $169 Mamba Movers, Saturdays, Ages 2-5, Jan 15 – Feb 26. $169 Basketball, Saturdays, Ages 5-10, Jan 15 – Feb 26. Online registration is required for contact tracing, waiver & consent, and proper staffing requirements. Contact INFO@MASIMAMBA.COM for more details.
The Holiday Giving Project has provided Thanksgiving and December holiday assistance to low-income households for over 30 years. A network of social workers, school counselors, and human service professionals refer families in need of assistance. Local non-profits, faith-based organizations, and public agencies serve Holiday Giving recipients, as donations are available. If you and your family are in need and would like to be referred for possible assistance for the holiday season, please complete the referral form below to provide the required information. Resources are limited: please apply only if you and your family are truly in need. While a referral is not a guarantee of assistance, the Project helps as many families in need as donations allow. Referrals are due no later than Wednesday, October 27, 2021.
Interested in Substituting for MCPS?
MCPS is seeking substitute teachers! Substitute teaching is an excellent way to learn about our schools while allowing principals and teachers to get to know you. To qualify as a substitute teacher, each applicant must present proof of the completion of the minimum of an associate’s degree or 60 college credits from an accredited institution.
Substitute teachers are temporary employees and are on an on call basis. An automated substitute calling system helps you manage your work schedule by allowing you to call at any time, day or night, to find jobs. This system is telephone and internet accessible. The system uses your subject area and location preferences to offer you jobs on the days you have selected and allows you to change the days you work.
Substitute Teacher Rates: Daily hourly rate of pay $18.79- Long Term rate $26.81.
If you hold a valid Maryland professional eligibility certificate or standard advanced professional certificate, the daily hourly rate of pay is $19.97-Long Term rate $28.45. In order to qualify for this higher rate of pay, you must submit a copy of your valid Maryland certificate.
Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) welcomes volunteers to support the essential needs of the schools. Volunteers and partnership agencies are required to complete certain compliance measures in order to volunteer within our school district.
- Online Recognizing Child Abuse and Neglect Training via their myMCPS Classroom/Canvas account
- Background check (dependent upon the type of volunteer service, per the Volunteers Regulation and FAQ)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Attestation – NEW!
Beginning September 20, 2021, volunteers will be required to upload their Certificate of COVID-19 Vaccination to remain on the volunteer roster. The User-Guide on how to access both module requirements and how to access and upload the Certificate of COVID-19 Vaccination from the state Department of Health will be available on this webpage and the Child Abuse and Neglect webpage on September 20, 2021.
Please review the Volunteer/Contractor Vaccination Attestation Update (https://docs.google.com/document/d/13WgvXerKTG_a6HrOtu6aPlm7g-Vy0w5P–_A-ElPlO8/edit?usp=sharing) for details on this process.
MCPS Volunteer Website: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/student-leadership/volunteer.aspx
Identity Offering Assistance to County Residents
Identity is receiving clients and offering services for:
- Help in applying for the county’s Rental Relief Program (up to $12,000 for qualifying residents who are behind in rent)
- Vaccination information and free COVID-19 testing
- Food and SNAP (food stamps)
- Care for Kids and referrals for Proyecto Salud Clinic and Care For Your Health
- Emergency cash assistance
- Connections to other social services in Montgomery Count
They are able to offer help in English and Spanish. For more information call Maribel at 301-800-5519 or Rita at 240-306-7626. PLEASE SEE CLASS DOJO FOR INFORMATION ABOVE IN SPANISH.
Immunization Requirements for the 2021-2022 school year.
Parents should contact their doctor to make sure their child is properly immunized and submit a copy of the documentation to the Health Room at your child’s school as soon as possible, but no later than Monday, August 30, 2021 the first day of the 2021-2022 school year.
Immunizations for the students new to MCPS and children in Kindergarten through Grade 12, are available Monday through Friday, by appointment, at location in Rockville and Germantown.
Appointments are available at:
School Health Services Immunization Clinic at Rocking Horse Road: 4910 Macon Road, Rockville; 240-740-3380
Germantown Health Center: 12900 Middlebrook Rd., Germantown; 240-777-3380
Visit this website to view the full list of immunization requirements for students.
WE NEED YOUR HELP!!
From the Clothing to Cash Organization: The Clothing to Cash collection bin outside of Glen Haven Elementary School, ONLY ACCEPTs clothing, shoes and textiles. Those items MUST fit inside the collection bin and never be left outside on the ground.
Thank you in advance for your prompt attention.
GHES Amazon Wishlist
This list includes items that students will be able to use at their seats and during indoor recess, etc. A wish list has been compiled and you may access it in the link below. Thank you so much for your support!
GHES Amazon Wishlist- https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3UYK69GK16LJO?ref_=wl_share
Resources for Families:
New MCPS COVID guidelines:
Where can I get a COVID test?:
COVID Testing this week:
How to Get the COVID-19 Vaccine:
A Vaccinated Person’s Guide to COVID Exposure: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/09/10/1035328610/coronavirus-faqs-a-vaccinated-persons-guide-to-covid-exposure-and-elevator-etiqu
MCPS Reopening Guide: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/reopening2021/#guide
Parent Academy To Go Virtual Workshops:
GHES Chromebook Guidelines (English):
GHES Chromebook Guidelines (Spanish):
FARMS Applications: https://www.myschoolapps.com/Application
Health Care for the Uninsured (English): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FoOQWe-GVr6ljzHjIxYRcl5VxtdBQCHN/view?usp=sharing
Health Care for the Uninsured (Spanish):
Child Tax Credit Information (English): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fHEKdyK16Bhy3xJtpa18dwQb5amTEd7x/view?usp=sharing
Child Tax Credit Information (Spanish):
Girl Scout Information:
WSSC Resumes Cut Offs & Financial Assistance Information:
Food Giveaways this week:
Free Consults for Immigration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z22sLMYM4XhueleocaYP8AOAWYnaaa1b/view?usp=sharing
Free Consults for Immigration (Spanish): https://drive.google.com/file/d/14T8WvsNornx5Vb6FWSSXqWZbV–pZXc_/view?usp=sharing
D.C. Area Educators for Social Justice: Early Childhood & Elementary Resources: https://www.dcareaeducators4socialjustice.org/black-lives-matter/resources/early-childhood-elementary#13
Woke Kindergarten https://www.wokekindergarten.org/
Books for Black Lives Matter at School https://socialjusticebooks.org/booklists/black-lives-matter-school/
Flu Shot Clinics and Information: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/resident/flu.html
Family and Friends Mental Health Support: http://namimd.org/family__friend_support
Montgomery County Job Centers: https://www.dllr.state.md.us/county/mont/
School Information for Parents:
ParentVUE: If you have not activated your ParentVUE account and need your activation code, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to have it emailed to you.
Have you joined Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child.
Class Dojo is our school-wide system for easy home-school messaging and communication. We use it to keep families informed of events and announcements. It also allows families to read messages in their preferred language. Please contact your child’s teacher to get the unique class code. Get answers to common questions here: Class Dojo Helpdesk for parents https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200185365-For-parents?mobile_site=false
- School Hours are 9:00 a.m. – 3:25 p.m. (doors open at 8:40 a.m.)
Welcome to new and returning parents! ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE – membership is not required to attend!!***
Our weekly newsletter, The Scoop, will have plenty of timely information, but please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!
For your future planning: Parent Information Sessions/PTA Meetings convene on the first Tuesday of the month, unless otherwise noted.
Meet the new Glen Haven PTA Leadership Team for 2021-2022
|Vice President||Adina Holmes|
|Vice President – Communications||Roxana Finkelberg|
|Treasurer Elect||Alex DeWire|
|Delegates||Doug Ryan Christine Halpin|
Other ways to help out the PTA:
PTA: Request to join GHES PTA MemberHub for PTA communication
Access our store to pay for your PTA membership
CHECK OUT OUR NEW SPIRITWEAR – ORDER BY OCT. 24
Here is information about the GHES Spirit Wear.
https://stores.inksoft.com/gle064/shop/home Use this link to order new designs. Sale ends on October 24, 2021.
https://glenhavenelementary.memberhub.com/store This link has the 2020-2021 virtual shirts and other Glen Haven wear. Please contact Ms. Corrina Burnham at email@example.com if you would like to order something from this site that is not available. The PTA will be ordering more of the items that are not available. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Corinna Burnham at firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo. There are two ways to submit them.
Sending in Box Top Clippings by Mail
1.Join for free at:
Find our school & sign up.
2. Go to Submit Box Tops and follow the steps for how to organize the clippings for mail and fill out submission form.
3.SEND YOUR BOX TOPS TO:
Box Tops for Education
350 Victor St.
Highland Park, MI 48203
Digital Submission of Box Tops
1. Download the Box Tops app & create a free account
2. Shop as you normally would
3. Then simply scan your store receipts and to find participating products (it doesn’t have to be the same day you shopped)
4. The app will automatically credit your school’s Box Tops earnings online
- Sign up for eScrip at www.escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
A Look Ahead:
- October MCPS Mental Health Awareness Month
- October National Principal’s Month
- Oct 11 – MCPS Open House (Columbus/Indigenous People’s Day)
- Oct 14 – Marking Period 1 Interims Distributed
- Oct 26 – Fall Pictures
- Oct 25-Oct 29 – Really Excellent Decisions Week (RED)
- November Military Family Month
- November American Indian Heritage Month
- Nov 2 – Election Day
- Nov 3 – 1st Marking Period Ends
- Nov 4 – No School for Students (Professional Day)
- Nov 7 – Daylight Savings Time Ends
- Nov 11 – Veterans Day
- Nov 12 – Marking Period 1 Report Cards Distributed
- Nov 22 – Early Release Day (12:55pm)
- Nov 23 – Early Release Day (12:55pm)
- Nov 24 – Early Release Day (12:55pm)
- November 25th and 26th – Holiday, Schools and Offices Closed
- December 7 – Fall Pictures Retake
- Dec 15 – Marking Period 2 Interims Distributed
- Dec 23rd – December 31st – Winter Break
- January 17 – Non-Instructional Day – No School for Students and Teachers
- Jan 24 – Professional Day
- Jan 25-28 – The Great Kindness Challenge
- February Black History Month
- Feb 1 – Marking Period 2 Report Cards Distributed, No School (Professional Day)
- Feb 7-11 – National School Counseling Week
- Feb 21 – Holiday, Schools and Offices Closed
- Feb 22 – Yearbook Groups and Candid Pictures, School Bus Driver Appreciation Day
- March Women’s History Month
- Mar 11 – Early Release Day (12:55pm)
- Mar 13 – Daylight Saving Time Starts
- Mar 24 – Spring Individual and Class Group Pictures
- April – Month of the Military Child
- April 1 – No School (Professional Day)
- April 2 – Light It Up Blue (Autism Awareness)
- April 4 – School Media Specialist Appreciation Day
- April 4-8 – National Assistant Principal’s Week
- April 6 – Paraprofessional Day
- April 11 – Marking Period 3 Report Cards Distributed, Non-Instructional Day (No School for Students and Teachers)
- April 12-18 – Spring Break
- April 18-22 – National Volunteer Recognition Week
- April 26 – Pre-K Graduation Pictures
- April 25-29 – College and Career Awareness Week
- April 27 – National Administrative Professionals Day
- April 28 – Take Your Child to Work Day
- April 29 – Career Day (9:30-11:30)
- May – Month of the Military Caregiver
- May – Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
- May – Jewish American Heritage Month
- May 2 – No School (Professionals Day)
- May 3 – School Principal’s Day (Recognized on May 1)
- May 2-6 – Teacher Appreciation Week, Children’s Mental Health Matter’s Week
- May 6 – School Lunch Hero Day
- May 11 – School Nurse Day
- May 13 – 5th Grade Panoramic Picture Day
- May 18 – Marking Period 4 Interims Distributed
- May 30 – Holiday, Schools and Offices Closed