Week of December 13, 2021
- Safety, Security and Well-Being of Students, A Live Conversation
- Montgomery County Public Schools is committed to ensuring the safety of all students. Please join us for a virtual Community Conversation for caregivers and students on Monday, December 13, 2021, from 7-8:30 p.m.
- The event will include updates and information about MCPS’s commitment to health-related safety, psychological safety, and physical safety. Caregivers and students will have opportunities to learn about resources, hear from a panel of experts and community partners, ask questions, and provide feedback.
- The event will be live online at www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org , the MCPS YouTube channel and on MCPS-TV (Comcast 34, Verizon 36, and RCN 89)
- Have kids in middle and high school?
- Choose Respect: Let’s Talk Consent webinar, Tuesday, December 14, 2021, from 7-9 p.m.
- This webinar is geared towards students in grades 8-12. The event is hosted by our partners from the VASAP (Victim Assistance/Sexual Assault Program), Montgomery County Police Department, and Family Justice Center:
- Students will receive a link to the event when they register for the event using this link: bit.ly/consentsignup
- Students who attend will receive 2.5 SSL hours for attending.
- Important information impacting our current middle and elementary students:
- MCPS is rebuilding and reopening a closed high school, Charles W. Woodward High school, which will reopen in September 2025.This new school will be used to decrease overcrowding in the Down County Consortium (i.e., Glen Haven students). This means that the high school boundaries which are the basis of our school clusters will be redrawn. You can see more information here:
- Spirit days this week and next!
- Thursday December 16
- Countdown to Winter Break- Sports & Hobbies Day: Dress up representing your favorite activity, hobby, or your favorite sports team.
- Friday December 17
- GHES Fun Friday: Wacky Winter Sweater Day or Hat Day
- Monday December 20
- Bright & Shiny New Year Day: Wear bright and/or shiny colored clothes to school to celebrate the end of 2021 and the start of 2022.
- Tuesday December 21
- Excited Eagles Snowy Spirit Day: Show your GHES pride by wearing blue & green, or Glen Haven spirit wear.
- Wednesday December 22
- Winter Wonderland Day: Wear cozy PJs and cozy socks.
- Thursday December 16
- GHES Annual Coat Drive: Make a child smile this winter! Please donate any clean, new or gently used coats and jackets (any size) that will be distributed to children of Glen Haven Elementary School. Please drop off any jackets in the bin inside near the main entrance.
- Help one of our Glen Haven families: Please see directly below. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
- WE NEED YOUR HELP!!
- From the Clothing to Cash Organization: The Clothing to Cash collection bin outside of Glen Haven Elementary School, ONLY ACCEPTs clothing, shoes and textiles. Those items MUST fit inside the collection bin and never be left outside on the ground. Thank you in advance for your prompt attention.
- GHES Amazon Wishlist
- This list includes items that students will be able to use at their seats and during indoor recess, etc. A wish list has been compiled and you may access it in the link below. Thank you so much for your support! GHES Amazon Wishlist- https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3UYK69GK16LJO?ref_=wl_share
COVID-19 Testing Information:
Help our community contain covid- we can all help! Frequent testing (plus mask-wearing and hand-washing) is an extremely helpful way to contain the spread of covid-19. Please sign your child up for testing! COVID-19 tests will be administered by trained personnel. The test involves a swab inside the front part of the nose. The swab should not hurt; however, your child may experience some slight but brief discomfort. Your child’s test result will be provided to you, along with instructions with any next steps. The same consent form is now used for both the screening and rapid tests so families only need to sign one form for each child.
Consent Form in other languages: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/coronavirus/random-testing.aspx
Resources for Families:
New MCPS COVID guidelines:
Where can I get a COVID test?:
COVID Testing this week:
How to Get the COVID-19 Vaccine:
A Vaccinated Person’s Guide to COVID Exposure: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/09/10/1035328610/coronavirus-faqs-a-vaccinated-persons-guide-to-covid-exposure-and-elevator-etiqu
Parent Academy To Go Virtual Workshops:
GHES Chromebook Guidelines (English):
GHES Chromebook Guidelines (Spanish):
FARMS Applications: https://www.myschoolapps.com/Application
Health Care for the Uninsured (English): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FoOQWe-GVr6ljzHjIxYRcl5VxtdBQCHN/view?usp=sharing
Health Care for the Uninsured (Spanish):
Child Tax Credit Information (English): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fHEKdyK16Bhy3xJtpa18dwQb5amTEd7x/view?usp=sharing
Child Tax Credit Information (Spanish):
Girl Scout Information:
WSSC Resumes Cut Offs & Financial Assistance Information:
Food Giveaways this week:
Free Consults for Immigration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z22sLMYM4XhueleocaYP8AOAWYnaaa1b/view?usp=sharing
Free Consults for Immigration (Spanish): https://drive.google.com/file/d/14T8WvsNornx5Vb6FWSSXqWZbV–pZXc_/view?usp=sharing
D.C. Area Educators for Social Justice: Early Childhood & Elementary Resources: https://www.dcareaeducators4socialjustice.org/black-lives-matter/resources/early-childhood-elementary#13
Woke Kindergarten https://www.wokekindergarten.org/
Books for Black Lives Matter at School https://socialjusticebooks.org/booklists/black-lives-matter-school/
Flu Shot Clinics and Information: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/resident/flu.html
Family and Friends Mental Health Support: http://namimd.org/family__friend_support
Montgomery County Job Centers: https://www.dllr.state.md.us/county/mont/
School Information for Parents:
- ParentVUE: If you have not activated your ParentVUE account and need your activation code, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to have it emailed to you.
- Have you joined Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child.
- Class Dojo is our school-wide system for easy home-school messaging and communication. We use it to keep families informed of events and announcements. It also allows families to read messages in their preferred language. Please contact your child’s teacher to get the unique class code. Get answers to common questions here: Class Dojo Helpdesk for parents https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200185365-For-parents?mobile_site=false
- School Hours are 9:00 a.m. – 3:25 p.m. (doors open at 8:40 a.m.)
- Welcome to new and returning parents! ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE – membership is not required to attend!!***
- Our weekly newsletter, The Scoop, will have plenty of timely information, but please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!
- For your future planning: Parent Information Sessions/PTA Meetings convene on the first Tuesday of the month, unless otherwise noted.
Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Request to join GHES PTA MemberHub for PTA communication
Access our store to pay for your PTA membership
- CHECK OUT OUR NEW SPIRITWEAR
https://glenhavenelementary.memberhub.com/store This link has the 2020-2021 virtual shirts and other Glen Haven wear. Please contact Ms. Corrina Burnham at email@example.com if you would like to order something from this site that is not available. The PTA will be ordering more of the items that are not available. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Corinna Burnham at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo. There are two ways to submit them.
Sending in Box Top Clippings by Mail
1.Join for free at: https://www.boxtops4education.com/About
Find our school & sign up.
2. Go to Submit Box Tops and follow the steps for how to organize the clippings for mail and fill out submission form.
3.SEND YOUR BOX TOPS TO:
Box Tops for Education
350 Victor St.
Highland Park, MI 48203
Digital Submission of Box Tops
1. Download the Box Tops app & create a free account
2. Shop as you normally would
3. Then simply scan your store receipts and to find participating products (it doesn’t have to be the same day you shopped)
4. The app will automatically credit your school’s Box Tops earnings online
- Sign up for eScrip at www.escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
A Look Ahead:
- Dec 15 – Marking Period 2 Interims Distributed
- Dec 23rd – December 31st – Winter Break
- January 3 – Students and staff return to school
- January 12 – Early Release Day (12:55pm)
- January 17 – Non-Instructional Day – No School for Students and Teachers
- Jan 24 – Professional Day
- Jan 25-28 – The Great Kindness Challenge
- February Black History Month
- Feb 1 – Marking Period 2 Report Cards Distributed, No School (Professional Day)
- Feb 7-11 – National School Counseling Week
- Feb 21 – Holiday, Schools and Offices Closed
- Feb 22 – Yearbook Groups and Candid Pictures, School Bus Driver Appreciation Day
- March Women’s History Month
- Mar 11 – Early Release Day (12:55pm)
- Mar 13 – Daylight Saving Time Starts
- Mar 24 – Spring Individual and Class Group Pictures; Early Release Day (12:55pm)
- April – Month of the Military Child
- April 1 – No School (Professional Day)
- April 2 – Light It Up Blue (Autism Awareness)
- April 4 – School Media Specialist Appreciation Day
- April 4-8 – National Assistant Principal’s Week
- April 6 – Paraprofessional Day
- April 11 – Marking Period 3 Report Cards Distributed, Non-Instructional Day (No School for Students and Teachers)
- April 12-18 – Spring Break
- April 18-22 – National Volunteer Recognition Week
- April 26 – Pre-K Graduation Pictures
- April 25-29 – College and Career Awareness Week
- April 27 – National Administrative Professionals Day
- April 28 – Take Your Child to Work Day
- April 29 – Career Day (9:30-11:30)
- May – Month of the Military Caregiver
- May – Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
- May – Jewish American Heritage Month
- May 2 – No School (Professionals Day)
- May 3 – School Principal’s Day (Recognized on May 1)
- May 2-6 – Teacher Appreciation Week, Children’s Mental Health Matter’s Week
- May 6 – School Lunch Hero Day
- May 11 – School Nurse Day
- May 13 – 5th Grade Panoramic Picture Day
- May 18 – Marking Period 4 Interims Distributed; Early Release Day (12:55pm)
- May 30 – Holiday, Schools and Offices Closed
- June 15 – Last day of school!!! (Early release)