Glen Haven Weekly Scoop: Week of September 13th
- Monday, September 13– Virtual Back to School Night (Pre-K-2) 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 14 – Virtual Back to School Night (3rd – 5th) 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- On both nights, each grade level will create their own Zoom link and share with families. From 6:30 p.m. – 6:50 p.m. the Administration / PTA will present via Zoom
Meeting ID: 813 0612 3589
6:55 p.m. – 7:25 p.m. – Grade Level Session One via Zoom
7:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Grade Level Session Two via Zoom
*Session one and two will be the same presentation, so parents with children in multiple grade levels will be able to attend both children’s grade level presentations.
- Wednesday, September 15 – First Day of Hispanic Heritage Month
- Thursday, September, 16 – NO SCHOOL
Parent Academy Session on Leader in Me
This year Glen Haven ES is piloting the Leader in Me as part of our focus on social emotional learning for students. MCPS invites you to a Parent Academy Session on September 22, 2021, from 6:00-7:00 pm to learn more about the Leader in Me Curriculum. See flyer for additional information:
GHES Re-opening FAQ
Here is a link to the questions & responses gathered from the school community from Mrs. Strain’s Meet and Greets and the Welcome Back Newsletter.
Identity Offering Assistance to County Residents
Identity is receiving clients and offering services for:
- Help in applying for the county’s Rental Relief Program (up to $12,000 for qualifying residents who are behind in rent)
- Vaccination information and free COVID-19 testing
- Food and SNAP (food stamps)
- Care for Kids and referrals for Proyecto Salud Clinic and Care For Your Health
- Emergency cash assistance
- Connections to other social services in Montgomery Count
They are able to offer help in English and Spanish. For more information call Maribel at 301-800-5519 or Rita at 240-306-7626. PLEASE SEE CLASS DOJO FOR INFORMATION ABOVE IN SPANISH.
Immunization Requirements for the 2021-2022 school year.
Parents should contact their doctor to make sure their child is properly immunized and submit a copy of the documentation to the Health Room at your child’s school as soon as possible, but no later than Monday, August 30, 2021 the first day of the 2021-2022 school year.
Immunizations for the students new to MCPS and children in Kindergarten through Grade 12, are available Monday through Friday, by appointment, at location in Rockville and Germantown.
Appointments are available at:
School Health Services Immunization Clinic at Rocking Horse Road: 4910 Macon Road, Rockville; 240-740-3380
Germantown Health Center: 12900 Middlebrook Rd., Germantown; 240-777-3380
Visit this website to view the full list of immunization requirements for students.
WE NEED YOUR HELP!!
From the Clothing to Cash Organization: The Clothing to Cash collection bin outside of Glen Haven Elementary School, ONLY ACCEPTs clothing, shoes and textiles. Those items MUST fit inside the collection bin and never be left outside on the ground.
Thank you in advance for your prompt attention.
GHES Amazon Wishlist
This list includes items that students will be able to use at their seats and during indoor recess, etc. A wishlist has been compiled and you may access it in the link below. Thank you so much for your support!
GHES Amazon Wishlist- https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3UYK69GK16LJO?ref_=wl_share
Resources for Families:
COVID Testing Information
MCPS, in partnership with the Maryland Department of Health, is offering COVID-19 screening tests to students in PreK-Grade 6 at no cost. Testing is one of the significant mitigation tactics MCPS will use this fall. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends random asymptomatic COVID-19 testing because it detects and can limit the spread of the virus, even in the absence of visible symptoms.
This individual screening test requires that families “opt-in” and consent for students to be tested. A random sample of students in these grades will be identified and tested on a weekly basis with parental consent. Fully vetted and authorized contractors, not MCPS staff, will administer the tests. The opt-in form is necessary to allow your child to be a part of this testing process and can be found here (https://www.cognitoforms.com/CIANDiagnostics1/MCPSMarylandDepartmentOfHealthCIANDiagnosticsIndividualCOVID19TestingConsentOptInForm) . All parents are strongly encouraged to complete this form by Sept. 8 to increase the effectiveness of the testing program overall and increase the safety for all students.
New MCPS COVID guidelines:
Where can I get a COVID test?:
COVID Testing this week:
How to Get the COVID-19 Vaccine:
MCPS Reopening Guide: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/reopening2021/#guide
Parent Academy To Go Virtual Workshops:
GHES Chromebook Guidelines (English):
GHES Chromebook Guidelines (Spanish):
FARMS Applications: https://www.myschoolapps.com/Application
Girl Scout Information:
WSSC Resumes Cut Offs & Financial Assistance Information:
Food Giveaways this week:
Free Consults for Immigration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z22sLMYM4XhueleocaYP8AOAWYnaaa1b/view?usp=sharing
Free Consults for Immigration (Spanish): https://drive.google.com/file/d/14T8WvsNornx5Vb6FWSSXqWZbV–pZXc_/view?usp=sharing
D.C. Area Educators for Social Justice: Early Childhood & Elementary Resources: https://www.dcareaeducators4socialjustice.org/black-lives-matter/resources/early-childhood-elementary#13
Woke Kindergarten https://www.wokekindergarten.org/
Books for Black Lives Matter at School https://socialjusticebooks.org/booklists/black-lives-matter-school/
School Information for Parents:
ParentVUE: If you have not activated your ParentVUE account and need your activation code, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to have it emailed to you.
Have you joined Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child.
Class Dojo is our school-wide system for easy home-school messaging and communication. We use it to keep families informed of events and announcements. It also allows families to read messages in their preferred language. Please contact your child’s teacher to get the unique class code. Get answers to common questions here: Class Dojo Helpdesk for parents https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200185365-For-parents?mobile_site=false
- School Hours are 9:00 a.m. – 3:25 p.m. (doors open at 8:40 a.m.)
Welcome to new and returning parents! ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE – membership is not required to attend!!***
Our weekly newsletter, The Scoop, will have plenty of timely information, but please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!
For your future planning: Parent Information Sessions/PTA Meetings convene on the first Tuesday of the month, unless otherwise noted.
Meet the new Glen Haven PTA Leadership Team for 2021-2022
|Vice President||Adina Holmes|
|Vice President – Communications||Roxana Finkelberg|
|Treasurer Elect||Alex DeWire|
|Delegates||Doug Ryan Christine Halpin|
Other ways to help out the PTA:
PTA: Request to join GHES PTA MemberHub for PTA communication
Access our store to pay for your PTA membership
***Check out our New Virtual GHES Spirit Wear on the Member Hub***
Spirit Wear in new designs and colors are available now on the Member Hub. Orders will be packed twice a month using all Covid19 safety precautions.
Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo. There are two ways to submit them.
Sending in Box Top Clippings by Mail
1.Join for free at:
Find our school & sign up.
2. Go to Submit Box Tops and follow the steps for how to organize the clippings for mail and fill out submission form.
3.SEND YOUR BOX TOPS TO:
Box Tops for Education
350 Victor St.
Highland Park, MI 48203
Digital Submission of Box Tops
1. Download the Box Tops app & create a free account
2. Shop as you normally would
3. Then simply scan your store receipts and to find participating products (it doesn’t have to be the same day you shopped)
4. The app will automatically credit your school’s Box Tops earnings online
- Sign up for eScrip at www.escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
A Look Ahead:
- September 20 – September 24 – Start with Hello Week
- October MCPS Mental Health Awareness Month
- October National Principal’s Month
- Oct 1 – Building Services Recognition Day
- Oct 8 – Early Release Day
- Oct 11 – MCPS Open House (Columbus/Indigenous People’s Day)
- Oct 14 – Marking Period 1 Interims Distributed
- Oct 26 – Fall Pictures
- Oct 25-Oct 29 – Really Excellent Decisions Week (RED)
- November Military Family Month
- November American Indian Heritage Month
- Nov 2 – Election Day
- Nov 3 – 1st Marking Period Ends
- Nov 4 – No School for Students (Professional Day)
- Nov 7 – Daylight Savings Time Ends
- Nov 11 – Veterans Day
- Nov 12 – Marking Period 1 Report Cards Distributed
- Nov 22 – Early Release Day
- Nov 23 – Early Release Day
- Nov 24 – Early Release Day
- November 25th and 26th – Holiday, Schools and Offices Closed
- December 7 – Fall Pictures Retake
- Dec 15 – Marking Period 2 Interims Distributed
- Dec 23rd – December 31st – Winter Break
- January 17 – Non-Instructional Day – No School for Students and Teachers
- Jan 24 – Professional Day
- Jan 25-28 – The Great Kindness Challenge
- February Black History Month
- Feb 1 – Marking Period 2 Report Cards Distributed, No School (Professional Day)
- Feb 7-11 – National School Counseling Week
- Feb 21 – Holiday, Schools and Offices Closed
- Feb 22 – Yearbook Groups and Candid Pictures, School Bus Driver Appreciation Day
- March Women’s History Month
- Mar 11 – Early Release Day
- Mar 13 – Daylight Saving Time Starts
- Mar 24 – Spring Individual and Class Group Pictures
- April – Month of the Military Child
- April 1 – No School (Professional Day)
- April 2 – Light It Up Blue (Autism Awareness)
- April 4 – School Media Specialist Appreciation Day
- April 4-8 – National Assistant Principal’s Week
- April 6 – Paraprofessional Day
- April 11 – Marking Period 3 Report Cards Distributed, Non-Instructional Day (No School for Students and Teachers)
- April 12-18 – Spring Break
- April 18-22 – National Volunteer Recognition Week
- April 26 – Pre-K Graduation Pictures
- April 25-29 – College and Career Awareness Week
- April 27 – National Administrative Professionals Day
- April 28 – Take Your Child to Work Day
- April 29 – Career Day (9:30-11:30)
- May – Month of the Military Caregiver
- May – Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
- May – Jewish American Heritage Month
- May 2 – No School (Professionals Day)
- May 3 – School Principal’s Day (Recognized on May 1)
- May 2-6 – Teacher Appreciation Week, Children’s Mental Health Matter’s Week
- May 6 – School Lunch Hero Day
- May 11 – School Nurse Day
- May 13 – 5th Grade Panoramic Picture Day
- May 18 – Marking Period 4 Interims Distributed
- May 30 – Holiday, Schools and Offices Closed