Glen Haven Weekly Scoop: Week of May 30th
Summer is Coming!:
- May is the Month of the Military Caregiver AND Children’s Mental Health Month!
- May 31 – Memorial Day: Offices and schools closed
- Glen Haven’s End of the Year Celebrations and Kindergarten Orientation: All Promotions/Celebrations will be virtual. There will be more information to follow from teachers. Thank you! Have a great day!
Promotions/End of Year Celebrations:
Wednesday, June 9: 9:00 a.m. – Kindergarten Promotion
10:00 a.m. – PreK Promotion
10:15 a.m. – 4th Grade Celebration
1:00 p.m. – 1st Grade Celebration
Wednesday, June 16: 9:00 a.m. – 2nd Grade Celebration
9:45 a.m. – 3rd Grade Celebration
10:30 a.m.- 5th Grade Promotion
Thursday, August 5 & Friday, August 6
- Hello all! We are excited about the new slate of officers (see below) and would love to have you join us for the PTA meeting this Tuesday, June 1st for the vote.
Also below is the zoom link for the meeting. We will only be admitting folks who use a first and last name (with no emojis!)
President GHES PTA is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: President GHES PTA’s Zoom Meeting
Time: Jun 1, 2021 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 950 8695 7039
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,95086957039#,,,,*480872# US (Washington DC)
+19292056099,,95086957039#,,,,*480872# US (New York)
Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 950 8695 7039
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acWemB4Gfa
Glen Haven PTA Nominating Committee Report
May 30, 2021
The individuals listed below by position have been identified and confirmed as willing candidates for the 2021-2022 election of the Glen Haven PTA Executive Board. The PTA membership will be made aware of the slate of candidates ASAP with elections planned to be held during the June 1, 2021 Glen Haven PTA virtual meeting.
2021-2022 Glen Haven PTA Elected Board Candidates
- Jessica Sniffin
Vice President (2)
- Adina Holmes
- Roxana Finkelberg (Communications)
- 1. Shahrzad Spieler
- Alex DeWire
- Katie Campana-Scherer
- Douglas Ryan
- Christine Halpin
Glen Haven PTA Nominating Committee
- Identity Offering Assistance to County Residents
Identity is receiving clients and offering services for:
- Help in applying for the county’s Rental Relief Program (up to $12,000 for qualifying residents who are behind in rent)
- Vaccination information and free COVID-19 testing
- Food and SNAP (food stamps)
- Care for Kids and referrals for Proyecto Salud Clinic and Care For Your Health
- Emergency cash assistance
- Connections to other social services in Montgomery County
They are able to offer help in English and Spanish. For more information call Maribel at 301-800-5519 or Rita at 240-306-7626. PLEASE SEE CLASS DOJO FOR INFORMATION ABOVE IN SPANISH.
- Immunization Requirements for the 2021-2022 school year.
Parents should contact their doctor to make sure their child is properly immunized and submit a copy of the documentation to the Health Room at your child’s school as soon as possible, but no later than Monday, August 30, 2021 the first day of the 2021-2022 school year.
Immunizations for the students new to MCPS and children in Kindergarten through Grade 12, are available Monday through Friday, by appointment, at location in Rockville and Germantown.
Appointments are available at:
School Health Services Immunization Clinic at Rocking Horse Road: 4910 Macon Road, Rockville; 240-740-3380
Germantown Health Center: 12900 Middlebrook Rd., Germantown; 240-777-3380
Visit this website to view the full list of immunization requirements for students.
PLEASE SEE CLASS DOJO FOR INFORMATION IN SPANISH.
- WE NEED YOUR HELP!!
From the Clothing to Cash Organization: Over the last 2 months we have recorded a large increase in items being left inside and outside of the Clothing to Cash collection bin outside of Glen Haven Elementary School, that we do NOT accept. People have been leaving furniture, food, glassware, electronics, firewood, to name just a few. We ONLY ACCEPT clothing, shoes and textiles and those items MUST fit inside the collection bin and never be left outside on the ground.
Thank you in advance for your prompt attention.
- MCPS will continue to provide free breakfast, lunch and dinner meals to all students in schools and at designated food distribution sites. The number of grab-and-go sites will be reduced to 24. Meals will be served Monday, Tuesday (double meal day), Thursday and Friday (triple meal day). There will be no service on Wednesdays.
Glen Haven ES will not be a distribution site any longer, however Northwood High School is a distribution site that you can go to starting March 15th.
- Interested in learning more about pedestrian safety and earn prizes including gift cards and safety gadgets? Then enter our Vision Zero Pedestrian Safety Art Contest for free! This contest is open to all MCPS students K-5 and ends on June 13th! For more information on how to enter: Go to https://bit.ly/3347qZU (accessible with personal email only) or https://bit.ly/2QU6ULB (accessible with MCPS/school email)
Spanish version: ¿Está interesado en aprender más sobre la seguridad de los peatones y ganar premios que incluyen tarjetas de regalo y dispositivos de seguridad? ¡Entonces participe gratis en nuestro Concurso de Arte de Seguridad para Peatones Vision Zero! ¡Este concurso está abierto a todos los estudiantes de MCPS K-5 y termina el 13 de junio!
Para obtener más información sobre cómo participar: Vaya a https://bit.ly/3vOvYmj (accesible solo con correo electrónico personal) o https://bit.ly/3ejkRvw (accesible con MCPS / correo electrónico escolar)
- For Military Families:
Something Special Just for MilKids – Appreciation Kit
During April, Military OneSource is offering an appreciation kit to our military children and their families. Order your own or share it with a friend. Supplies are limited, so order now. Each kit includes:
Military OneSource book mark
Military OneSource pop socket
Military OneSource photo frame
Sesame Street reusable face mask
Sesame Street enamel pin
Sesame Street magnet
Military Kids Connect passport
“Connecting With Kids in a Disconnected World” book by Trevor Romain
If you have not registered yet on Military One Source—
*How to Create a New Account
Click the “Create an Account” button.
Click the “Register Now” link on the right side of the login page.
Complete all necessary profile information.
Verify your account via email. This will complete the registration process and direct you to the Military Child Appreciation Kit.
- Spring/Summer 2021 Recreation Activity & Summer Camp Registration:
- Piano & Violin Lessons: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18XeQ_oV0-za12NduqU_-VJdXW3Gr_C2w/view?usp=sharing
- GIRL SCOUT OPPORTUNITIES! Troops Now Forming for Fall 2021!
Girl Scouts become leaders by making new friends, building skills, and discovering the world around them! Join us for a Girl Scout info night to learn more about how your family can become a Girl Scout family!
Who: Parents of Girls Pre K -12th Grade
Where: Via Zoom, for more information on dates and time and to RSVP please visit https://bit.ly/GirlScouts31-1
For questions please contact:
Christine Lowe, Membership Specialist – (301) 978-3870 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Silver Spring Sports with AvantiAthletics
Soccer $79 / monthly
Grades 2 to 3 on Thursdays, Apr 8 – Jun 10 Practice Times from 5pm -6pm
Grades 4 to 5 on Thursdays, Apr 8 – Jun 10 Practice Times from 6:05pm – 7:05pm
Basketball $79 / monthly
Grades 2 to 3 on Tuesdays, Apr 13 – Jun 15 from 5pm – 6pm
Grades 4 to 7 on Thursdays, Apr 15 – Jun 17 from 6:05pm – 7:05pm
Registration online at avantiathletics.com and select Junior Academy!
Space is very limited due to our Covid Safety precautions.
Registration includes 4 practices and 2 games each month, all held at Glenallan ES, located at Randolph and Georgia.
Game Days and Scholarships
Game Days are held on Saturday mornings or afternoons, twice a month. Players are encouraged to attend, but attendance is optional.
*For those with reduced or free lunch, please email us about our scholarship program.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com or text us at (301) 622-0979
*The various activity information is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of Montgomery Count, the superintendent, Glen Haven ES, or the Glen Haven PTA. *
- At the Parent Meeting regarding the Return to the School Building plan, some members of the PTA had asked about a GHES Amazon Wishlist. This list includes items that students will be able to use at their seats and during indoor recess, etc. A wishlist has been compiled and you may access it in the link below. Thank you so much for your support!
GHES Amazon Wishlist- https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3UYK69GK16LJO?ref_=wl_share
- Hello GHES Families!
Want to know more about AlphaBest for before school or after school care? Click here to find out more information-
Please complete the AlphaBest interest form using the survey links below.
- The 3rd Town Hall for Racial Justice was a highly positive, successful evening thanks to so many! For those who could not attend we would like to share the GHES 3 Calls to Action and resources for families.
3 Calls to Action:
As a community member, you can pledge to support BLM at School! Community members who sign on and are expected to participate in AT LEAST ONE of the following ways:
- Have a conversation at your dinner table
- Share a public statement (on social media or other platform) #BLMatGHES
- Attend an event
- Promote teacher/student work; share stories / elevate the voices
- Donate your space for an event
- Donate your skills
- Donate money to support the week of action
We are inviting our community to sign a petition to request that MCPS publicly acknowledge and support Black Lives Matter at School.
See our petition here
Sign here to show your support: http://bit.ly/BLMatSchoolPetition
We ask for your continued engagement and input.
Please use this form to suggest books that you would like to see in our school and classroom libraries that celebrate and affirm the identities of our Black and Hispanic students, promote the 13 principles of Black Lives Matter at School, or teach Black history and ethnic studies. You may also choose to share resources you think the school may want to consider in future lessons for students and provide other suggestions and ideas for our school to deepen and sustain our commitment to this work.
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Hero Squad Program is working with thousands of schools across the country to raise funds for blood cancer research and patient support services. While Glen Haven has chosen not to run a fundraiser for this program this year, if you are interested in donating money to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society please us this link:
Resources for Families:
- GHES Summer Lunch Program Sign-Up: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAlpQLScrBBkULGkB4zDJMrJCX8yhVfvHJolq10-mh16Bk2qOry2p-g/viewform
- GHES 2021 Summer School Program Information (deadline is June 4th):
- Utility Assistance Flyer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZaTug2nXG4igYPEd56bo4oux4L6V_DQe/view?usp=sharing
- Department of Recreation Summer Camps 2021: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/rec/activitiesandprograms/camps/
- Public Library Updates: https://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgportalapps/Press_Detail.aspx?Item_ID=36357
- New Maryland P-EBT Updates: https://dhs.marylandgov/p-ebt/
- FOOD GIVEAWAYS THIS WEEK:
Free Grocery Drive-Thru: Sikh families from the Guru Nanak Foundation of America would like to support your family by providing groceries safely to your car. Just show up and drive—thru!
Every Sunday from 1PM to 4PM. (Gratitude for the support of Montgomery County & Manna Foods)
Guru Nanak Foundation of America
12917 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20904
For questions call Neeta (301)728-7138 or Roohi (301) 928-4270 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maryland COVID-19 Vaccine Pre-Registration & Other Information:
- How to Get the COVID-19 Vaccine: https://montgomerycountymd.gov/covid19/vaccine/
- Free COVID Vaccine Clinic: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h3xRvwcPLSJfPmGUawa XNQJM3ITFRYBv/view?usp=sharing
- COVID Testing this week:
- COVID Vaccine PSA Contest: https://montgomerycountymd.galaxydigital.com/need/detail/?need_id=587371
D.C. Area Educators for Social Justice: Early Childhood & Elementary Resources: https://www.dcareaeducators4socialjustice.org/black-lives-matter/resources/early-childhood-elementary#13
Woke Kindergarten https://www.wokekindergarten.org/
Books for Black Lives Matter at School https://socialjusticebooks.org/booklists/black-lives-matter-school/
- FLU SHOTS: More information on how to prevent getting or spreading the flu is available on the County’s flu website.
- School Hours are 8:45 am – 3:15 pm (connect, attendance, announcements at 8:45 am). Please be mindful that instruction for students begins at 9 am, and signing in to class Zoom meetings might take a bit of time!
- Please note that Wednesday afternoons are scheduled for student support and teacher planning.
- Attendance and Absence Form: Attendance is taken each morning and each afternoon. Students are expected to attend all live virtual leaning classes in which they are enrolled. If they cannot attend due to illness or extenuating circumstances, they may then access the recording of the class to engage in the daily learning during an alternate time within 72 hours of the absence. Parents/Guardians may then submit a Live Virtual Lesson Absence Form (link on school website or at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfI682JHZy_aI1i9t1CigBdDsj6K48bIjxzMeuJ-QTu-Qw-WA/viewform?entry.255371218=Glen+Haven+ES ) to document that they engaged in the lesson and to request the unexcused absence to be reconciled to “Present”. If extenuating circumstance exist, parent/guardians are encouraged to communicate with the school’s administration ahead of time. The Live Virtual Lesson Absence Form must be completed for each documented absence.
- FREE MEALS: Until further notice, meals will continue to be free for all families regardless of FARMS status. This is due to a grant from USDA.
PTA: Request to join GHES PTA MemberHub for PTA communication
Access our store to pay for your PTA membership
- ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE- membership is not required to attend!!***
- Welcome to new and returning parents! Our weekly newsletter, The Scoop, will have plenty of timely information, but please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!
- For your future planning: Parent Information Sessions/PTA Meetings convene on the first Tuesday of the month, unless otherwise noted.
- Meet the new PTA Leadership for 2020-2021
|Glen Haven PTA Leadership Team – 2020-2021|
|Vice President||John Nangle|
|Vice President – Communications||Roxana Finkelberg|
|Treasurer Elect||Shahrzad Spieler|
Other ways to help out the PTA:
***Check out our New Virtual GHES Spirit Wear on the Member Hub***
Spirit Wear in new designs and colors are available now on the Member Hub. Orders will be packed twice a month using all Covid19 safety precautions and will be distributed at GHES during to be announced meal distribution dates.
Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo. There are two ways to submit them.
Sending in Box Top Clippings by Mail
1.Join for free at:
Find our school & sign up.
2. Go to Submit Box Tops and follow the steps for how to organize the clippings for mail and fill out submission form.
3.SEND YOUR BOX TOPS TO:
Box Tops for Education
350 Victor St.
Highland Park, MI 48203
Digital Submission of Box Tops
1. Download the Box Tops app & create a free account
2. Shop as you normally would
3. Then simply scan your store receipts and to find participating products (it doesn’t have to be the same day you shopped)
4. The app will automatically credit your school’s Box Tops earnings online
- Sign up for eScrip at www.escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
School Information for Parents:
Extracurricular Activities at Glen Haven:
- Drama Club (Grades 1-5) – Students learn about all aspects of drama, including acting, singing, and dancing, as well as how to be a good team member. Grades 4-5 will meet all year (1 x per week Semester 1, 2 x per week Semester 2). Meeting Dates/Times: Grades 4-5 Tuesdays 4:30-5:30 and Thursdays 4:00-5:30 (Semester 2), Grades 4-5 Semester 2 subject to change. Sponsor Emails: Heather.M.Williams@mcpsmd.net
- Safety Patrol – Grade 5 – This leadership opportunity for Grade 5 students will begin virtually to train students how to serve as role models for younger students and promote safe arrival and dismissal of students. Meeting Dates/Times to be determined. Sponsor Emails: email@example.com
ParentVUE: If you have not activated your ParentVUE account and need your activation code, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to have it emailed to you.
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum:
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
Family Resources / Recursos para la familia:
World Language Immersion Program – If you are interested in one of the World Language Immersion Programs, the application process for the 2021-2022 school year is from February 1, 2021 to April 23, 2021.
World Language Immersion Program website for more information:
Financial Assistance Programs
Emergency Assistance Relief Payment (EARP) – https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HHS/RightNav/Coronavirus_EARP.html
The County’s EARP Program is expanding and now more people may qualify. The EARP Program provides financial assistance to:
*low-income households who do not qualify for other types of federal and state support
*low-income families with an adult who has lost income due to a household member having COVID-19
Visit the County’s website (link above) to learn more about the new eligibility guidelines and to apply online – https://montgomerycountymd.seamlessdocs.com/f/ojn3zzdkoz6q
Immigration status is not required for this program.
This program does not count as public charge.
RESOURCES FOR RENTERS: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/DHCA/covid-19/eviction_process_and_renters.html
COVID-19 School-Age Subsidy Program (CSSP) –
*For low-income families with children at MCPS schools who attend a qualifying full-day childcare program.
*Short term program which may provide assistance paying for childcare between October and January.
*Childcare providers must be licensed and participating in the program.
*If you are eligible for other childcare subsidy programs, you must apply for those first.
*See program website (above) and Instructions for Parents (English / Espanol) for more information and to apply online – https://forms.montgomerycountymd.gov/f/SchoolAgeChildCare
*Can provide assistance to families with undocumented children.
Parent Academy workshops are free workshops that provide information, resources, and tools & tips to support student success. The Parent Academy is designed to inform and empower families as advocates and partners in their children’s education. Workshops provide families with useful information and resources to support their children’s academic and emotional well-being, as well as helping them to be college and career ready. Through a variety of learning opportunities, we hope to strengthen our engagement with families and the community. We recognize that behind every successful student are supportive families, teachers, school staff and community members who take an active role in educating our students.
We want our families and students to remain engaged throughout the school year. While we may not be able to meet face-to-face, Student, Family and School Services is excited to provide “Parent Academy TO GO ,” a series of virtual workshops for families to view at home.
Families can access additional information about social emotional support on the
● Office of Student and Family Supports and Engagement:
● Be Well 365:
● Mindful Moments Video Series:
● Waymaking Video Series:
● Virtual Parent Academy Series:
Los talleres de la Academia Para Padres son talleres gratuitos que brindan información, recursos, herramientas y consejos para apoyar el éxito de los estudiantes. La Academia Para Padres está diseñada para informar y empoderar a las familias como defensores y aliados en la educación de sus hijos. Los talleres brindan a las familias información y recursos útiles para apoyar el bienestar académico y emocional de sus hijos, además de ayudarlos a estar preparados para la universidad y la vida profesional. A través de una variedad de oportunidades de aprendizaje, esperamos fortalecer nuestro compromise con las familias y la comunidad. Reconocemos que detrás de cada estudiante exitoso hay familias, maestros, personal escolar y miembros de la comunidad que lo apoyan y que toman un papel activo en la educación de nuestros estudiantes.
A Look Ahead:
- May is the Month of the Military Caregiver AND Children’s Mental Health Month!
- May 31 – Memorial Day: Offices and schools closed
- June 16 – Last day of school for students!!! Early release day for all students (11:30 am)
- June 17 – Professional day for teachers