Glen Haven Weekly Scoop: Week of March 15th
Wishing you a Healthy and Happy New Year!:
- March 15th Return to In-Person and Virtual Learning
- MCPS will continue to provide free breakfast, lunch and dinner meals to all students in schools and at designated food distribution sites. The number of grab-and-go sites will be reduced to 24. Meals will be served Monday, Tuesday (double meal day), Thursday and Friday (triple meal day). There will be no service on Wednesdays.
Glen Haven ES will not be a distribution site any longer, however Northwood High School is a distribution site that you can go to starting March 15th.
Students who are coming back to school in-person will receive the free breakfast, lunch and dinner meals. Here is a menu for the week of March 15 and March 22.
If you cannot access this link please access in Class Dojo.
- FOOD GIVEAWAYS THIS WEEK:
Food Access Survey Deadline is 3/17; helps assess food needs in our communities:
COVID Testing this week:
- At the Parent Meeting regarding the Return to the School Building plan, some members of the PTA had asked about a GHES Amazon Wishlist. This list includes items that students will be able to use at their seats and during indoor recess, etc. A wishlist has been compiled and you may access it in the link below. Thank you so much for your support!
GHES Amazon Wishlist- https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3UYK69GK16LJO?ref_=wl_share
- Hello GHES Families!
Want to know more about AlphaBest for before school or after school care? Click here to find out more information-
Please complete the AlphaBest interest form using the survey links below.
- The 3rd Town Hall for Racial Justice last Tuesday was a highly positive, successful evening thanks to so many! For those who could not attend we would like to share the GHES 3 Calls to Action and resources for families.
3 Calls to Action:
As a community member, you can pledge to support BLM at School! Community members who sign on and are expected to participate in AT LEAST ONE of the following ways:
- Have a conversation at your dinner table
- Share a public statement (on social media or other platform) #BLMatGHES
- Attend an event
- Promote teacher/student work; share stories / elevate the voices
- Donate your space for an event
- Donate your skills
- Donate money to support the week of action
We are inviting our community to sign a petition to request that MCPS publicly acknowledge and support Black Lives Matter at School.
See our petition here
Sign here to show your support: http://bit.ly/BLMatSchoolPetition
We ask for your continued engagement and input.
Please use this form to suggest books that you would like to see in our school and classroom libraries that celebrate and affirm the identities of our Black and Hispanic students, promote the 13 principles of Black Lives Matter at School, or teach Black history and ethnic studies. You may also choose to share resources you think the school may want to consider in future lessons for students and provide other suggestions and ideas for our school to deepen and sustain our commitment to this work.
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Hero Squad Program is working with thousands of schools across the country to raise funds for blood cancer research and patient support services. While Glen Haven has chosen not to run a fundraiser for this program this year, if you are interested in donating money to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society please us this link:
Resources for Families:
D.C. Area Educators for Social Justice: Early Childhood & Elementary Resources: https://www.dcareaeducators4socialjustice.org/black-lives-matter/resources/early-childhood-elementary#13
Woke Kindergarten https://www.wokekindergarten.org/
Books for Black Lives Matter at School https://socialjusticebooks.org/booklists/black-lives-matter-school/
- FLU SHOTS: More information on how to prevent getting or spreading the flu is available on the County’s flu website.
- School Hours are 8:45 am – 3:15 pm (connect, attendance, announcements at 8:45 am). Please be mindful that instruction for students begins at 9 am, and signing in to class Zoom meetings might take a bit of time!
- Please note that Wednesday afternoons are scheduled for student support and teacher planning.
- Attendance and Absence Form: Attendance is taken each morning and each afternoon. Students are expected to attend all live virtual leaning classes in which they are enrolled. If they cannot attend due to illness or extenuating circumstances, they may then access the recording of the class to engage in the daily learning during an alternate time within 72 hours of the absence. Parents/Guardians may then submit a Live Virtual Lesson Absence Form (link on school website or at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfI682JHZy_aI1i9t1CigBdDsj6K48bIjxzMeuJ-QTu-Qw-WA/viewform?entry.255371218=Glen+Haven+ES ) to document that they engaged in the lesson and to request the unexcused absence to be reconciled to “Present”. If extenuating circumstance exist, parent/guardians are encouraged to communicate with the school’s administration ahead of time. The Live Virtual Lesson Absence Form must be completed for each documented absence.
- FREE MEALS: Until further notice, meals will continue to be free for all families regardless of FARMS status. This is due to a grant from USDA.
PTA: Request to join GHES PTA MemberHub for PTA communication
Access our store to pay for your PTA membership
Use link https://glenhavenelementary.new.memberhub.store/store?category=Memberships
- ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE- membership is not required to attend!!***
- Welcome to new and returning parents! Our weekly newsletter, The Scoop, will have plenty of timely information, but please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!
- For your future planning: Parent Information Sessions/PTA Meetings convene on the first Tuesday of the month, unless otherwise noted.
- Meet the new PTA Leadership for 2020-2021
|Glen Haven PTA Leadership Team – 2020-2021|
|Vice President||John Nangle|
|Vice President – Communications||Roxana Finkelberg|
|Treasurer Elect||Shahrzad Spieler|
Other ways to help out the PTA:
***Check out our New Virtual GHES Spirit Wear on the Member Hub***
Spirit Wear in new designs and colors are available now on the Member Hub. Orders will be packed twice a month using all Covid19 safety precautions and will be distributed at GHES during to be announced meal distribution dates.
Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo. There are two ways to submit them.
Sending in Box Top Clippings by Mail
1.Join for free at:
Find our school & sign up.
2. Go to Submit Box Tops and follow the steps for how to organize the clippings for mail and fill out submission form.
3.SEND YOUR BOX TOPS TO:
Box Tops for Education
350 Victor St.
Highland Park, MI 48203
Digital Submission of Box Tops
1. Download the Box Tops app & create a free account
2. Shop as you normally would
3. Then simply scan your store receipts and to find participating products (it doesn’t have to be the same day you shopped)
4. The app will automatically credit your school’s Box Tops earnings online
- Sign up for eScrip at www.escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
Like us on Facebook! Glen Haven PTA @glenhavenpta (https://www.facebook.com/glenhavenpta/)
School Information for Parents:
Extracurricular Activities at Glen Haven:
- Drama Club (Grades 1-5) – Students learn about all aspects of drama, including acting, singing, and dancing, as well as how to be a good team member. Grades 4-5 will meet all year (1 x per week Semester 1, 2 x per week Semester 2). Meeting Dates/Times: Grades 4-5 Tuesdays 4:30-5:30 and Thursdays 4:00-5:30 (Semester 2), Grades 4-5 Semester 2 subject to change. Sponsor Emails: Heather.M.Williams@mcpsmd.net
- Safety Patrol – Grade 5 – This leadership opportunity for Grade 5 students will begin virtually to train students how to serve as role models for younger students and promote safe arrival and dismissal of students. Meeting Dates/Times to be determined. Sponsor Emails: firstname.lastname@example.org
ParentVUE: If you have not activated your ParentVUE account and need your activation code, please email email@example.com to have it emailed to you.
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum:
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
Family Resources / Recursos para la familia:
World Language Immersion Program – If you are interested in one of the World Language Immersion Programs, the application process for the 2021-2022 school year is from February 1, 2021 to April 23, 2021.
World Language Immersion Program website for more information:
Financial Assistance Programs
Emergency Assistance Relief Payment (EARP) – https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HHS/RightNav/Coronavirus_EARP.html
The County’s EARP Program is expanding and now more people may qualify. The EARP Program provides financial assistance to:
*low-income households who do not qualify for other types of federal and state support
*low-income families with an adult who has lost income due to a household member having COVID-19
Visit the County’s website (link above) to learn more about the new eligibility guidelines and to apply online – https://montgomerycountymd.seamlessdocs.com/f/ojn3zzdkoz6q
Immigration status is not required for this program.
This program does not count as public charge.
COVID-19 School-Age Subsidy Program (CSSP) –
*For low-income families with children at MCPS schools who attend a qualifying full-day childcare program.
*Short term program which may provide assistance paying for childcare between October and January.
*Childcare providers must be licensed and participating in the program.
*If you are eligible for other childcare subsidy programs, you must apply for those first.
*See program website (above) and Instructions for Parents (English / Espanol) for more information and to apply online – https://forms.montgomerycountymd.gov/f/SchoolAgeChildCare
*Can provide assistance to families with undocumented children.
Parent Academy workshops are free workshops that provide information, resources, and tools & tips to support student success. The Parent Academy is designed to inform and empower families as advocates and partners in their children’s education. Workshops provide families with useful information and resources to support their children’s academic and emotional well-being, as well as helping them to be college and career ready. Through a variety of learning opportunities, we hope to strengthen our engagement with families and the community. We recognize that behind every successful student are supportive families, teachers, school staff and community members who take an active role in educating our students.
We want our families and students to remain engaged throughout the school year. While we may not be able to meet face-to-face, Student, Family and School Services is excited to provide “Parent Academy TO GO ,” a series of virtual workshops for families to view at home.
Families can access additional information about social emotional support on the
● Office of Student and Family Supports and Engagement:
● Be Well 365:
● Mindful Moments Video Series:
● Waymaking Video Series:
● Virtual Parent Academy Series:
Los talleres de la Academia Para Padres son talleres gratuitos que brindan información, recursos, herramientas y consejos para apoyar el éxito de los estudiantes. La Academia Para Padres está diseñada para informar y empoderar a las familias como defensores y aliados en la educación de sus hijos. Los talleres brindan a las familias información y recursos útiles para apoyar el bienestar académico y emocional de sus hijos, además de ayudarlos a estar preparados para la universidad y la vida profesional. A través de una variedad de oportunidades de aprendizaje, esperamos fortalecer nuestro compromise con las familias y la comunidad. Reconocemos que detrás de cada estudiante exitoso hay familias, maestros, personal escolar y miembros de la comunidad que lo apoyan y que toman un papel activo en la educación de nuestros estudiantes.
A Look Ahead:
- Mar 26 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- Mar 29 – Apr 5 – Spring Break: No school for students and teachers; Offices closed April 2 and 5
- April is Month of the Military Child!!
- Apr 16 – No school for students; professional day for teachers
- Apr 30 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- May is the Month of the Military Caregiver AND Children’s Mental Health Month!
- May 3 – 7 – Teacher Appreciation week!!
- May 13 – No school for students; professional day for teachers
- May 28 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- May 31 – Memorial Day: Offices and schools closed
- June 16 – Last day of school for students!!! Early release day for all students (11:30 am)
- June 17 – Professional day for teachers