Glen Haven Weekly Scoop: Week of September 14th
Lots of beginning-school-year stuff going on!
This Week and Beyond:
- Beginning Sept 14 – Oct 6, MAP Testing / Measures of Academic Progress Testing Dates:
Kindergarten – MAP Reading Fluency – Sept 18 at 9:15am
MAP Math – Oct 2 at 9:15am
1st Grade – MAP Reading Fluency – Sept 17 at 9:15am
MAP Math – Oct 1 at 9:15am
2nd Grade – MAP Reading Fluency – Sept 15 at 9:15am
MAP Math – Sept 29 at 9:15am
3rd Grade – MAP Reading Fluency – Sept 22 at 9:15am
MAP Math – Oct 6 at 9:15am
4th Grade – MAP Reading Fluency – Sept 21 at 9:45am
MAP Math – Oct 5 at 9:45am
5th Grade – MAP Reading Fluency – Sept 14 at 9:45am
MAP Math – Sept 24 at 9:45am
- Sept 17, Thursday – Back to School Night – 6:00 – 7:00pm
- Sept 21-25 – Start with Hello Week– Start with Hello Week helps to break down barriers of social isolation and promotes inclusion. It celebrates the amazing work of educators, students, and community members in building socially inclusive learning environments for all students.
- Sept 25, Friday – Principal’s Book of the Month (PBOM) – 9:00 – 10:00am, Tito Puente, Mambo King / Tito Puente, Rey del Mambo: Bilingual Spanish – English Children’s Book
- Sept 28 – NO SCHOOL for Students and Teachers
- Oct 2 – Early Release Day for Students (11:30am)
- School Hours are 8:45 am – 3:15 pm (connect, attendance, announcements at 8:45 am). Please be mindful that instruction for students begins at 9 am, and signing in to class Zoom meetings might take a bit of time!
- Please note that Wednesday afternoons are scheduled for student support and teacher planning.
- FREE MEALS: Starting Tuesday and until further notice, meals will continue to be free for all families regardless of FARMS status. This is due to a grant from USDA.
PTA: Request to join GHES PTA MemberHub for PTA communication
Access our store to pay for your PTA membership
- ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE- membership is not required to attend!!***
- Welcome to new and returning parents! Our weekly newsletter, The Scoop, will have plenty of timely information, but please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!
- For your future planning: Parent Information Sessions/PTA Meetings convene on the first Tuesday of the month, unless otherwise noted.
- Meet the new PTA Leadership for 2020-2021
|Glen Haven PTA Leadership Team – 2020-2021|
|Vice President||John Nangle|
|Vice President – Communications||Roxana Finkelberg|
|Treasurer Elect||Shahrzad Spieler|
Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
- Sign up for eScrip at www.escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
School Information for Parents:
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum:
The MCPS Parent Academy – Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
A Look Ahead:
- Sept 21-25 – Start with Hello Week
- Sept 25 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- Sept 28 – No school for students and teachers
- Oct 2 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm)
- Oct 22 – No school for PEP students
- Oct 23 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- Oct 26 – Oct 30 – Red Ribbon Week
- November is Military Family Month!
- Nov 3 – ELECTION DAY!!!! Schools and offices closed
- Nov 9 – No school for students; professional day for teachers (first marking period ends)
- Nov 11 & 12 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm)
- Nov 20 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- Nov 25 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm)
- Nov 26 & 27 – Thanksgiving; offices and schools closed
- Dec 17 – No school for PEP students
- Dec 18 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- Dec 24-31 – Winter break: No school for students and teachers; Offices closed Dec 24-25
- Jan 1 – New Year’s Day: offices and schools closed
- Jan 18 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: offices and schools closed
- Jan 22 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- Jan 25 – 28 – The Great Kindness Challenge
- Jan 29 – No school for students; professional day for teachers
- Feb 12 – No school for students; professional day for teachers
- Feb 15 – President’s Day: offices and schools closed
- Feb 17 – No school for PEP students
- Feb 26 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- Mar 12 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm)
- Mar 26 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- Mar 29 – Apr 5 – Spring Break: No school for students and teachers; Offices closed April 2 and 5
- April is Month of the Military Child!!
- Apr 16 – No school for students; professional day for teachers
- Apr 30 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- May is the Month of the Military Caregiver AND Children’s Mental Health Month!
- May 3 – 7 – Teacher Appreciation week!!
- May 13 – No school for students; professional day for teachers
- May 28 – Principal’s Book of the Month (9 am – 10 am)
- May 31 – Memorial Day: Offices and schools closed
- June 16 – Last day of school for students!!! Early release day for all students (12:55 pm)
- June 17 – Professional day for teachers