This Week and Next:
- March is the Month of the Military Caregiver!!
- Mar 10 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- Parent Information Session/PTA meeting next week: Please join the Glen Haven PTA on Tuesday, March 10, 2020 to learn more about the Maryland State Report Card. Mrs. Heifetz and Mr. Mackall will be presenting on Glen Haven’s MSDE Report Card and the School Improvement Plan. The Maryland Report Card is designed to evaluate school success in several ways, measuring state test results in English Language Arts and Math; postsecondary readiness; progress of English learners in achieving English proficiency; graduation rate; and students with access to and earning credit for a well-rounded curriculum. We hope all families will be able to join us – FREE pizza will be served at 6:30 PM and the presentation begins at 7:00 PM. Alphabest will provide supervision for school-aged children from 7-8PM. ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE- membership is not required to attend!!***
- Mark your calendars, Glen Haven families! Our Scholastic Book Fair starts March 30th and runs through April 3rd. Come look for books for your family or consider purchasing a book from your student’s teacher’s wishlist. All purchases benefit our school! Love books and want to volunteer at the fair? Sign up here.
- Glen Haven Elementary School’s Career Day is scheduled for Friday, April 3 from 9:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m, and we need YOU! We are in search of members of the Glen Haven Elementary School community who have careers that they would like to share with Glen Haven students. We want our students to imagine themselves in a career so that they can be inspired to do well in school now. If you are interested in being a Career Day Speaker, please click on the GHES Career Day 2020 Form or contact Rebecca Willis at Rebecca.H.Willis@mcpsmd.net. We are still in need of speakers for 1st Grade, 3rd Grade, and 4th Grade. Thank you for your support!
- Screenagers Dinner & a Movie – a cooperation between Glen Haven ES PTA & Sligo MS PTSA. April 17, 2020, at 6:45 pm in the Sligo MS Gym (1401 Dennis Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20902). Screenagers is the first feature documentary to explore the impact of screen technology on kids and offer parents and families proven solutions that work. What started out as a personal story for one has grown into a national movement, helping millions of teens and their families navigate growing up in a world with instant access to screens. Physician and filmmaker, Delaney Ruston decided to make Screenagers when she found herself constantly struggling with her two kids about screen time. This is a free event for the GHES and Sligo MS community. Children 4th grade and above are welcome with their parents. $5 donation per person encouraged. Pizza, dessert, and popcorn will be sold to raise funds for the PTA. Please RSVP so we know how many people plan to attend: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/screenager-movie-night-tickets-96808770639
- School Hours are 9:00 am – 3:25 pm (doors open at 8:40). Please be mindful that instruction for students begins at 9 am. Because we want to assure that students have the entire school day to use for lessons and school work, parents who need to be in the building at or after 9 am will need a guest sticker.
- MCPS provides meals for students with negative account balances through Dine with Dignity program. Launched in November 2018, the Dine with Dignity program allows students with negative account balances to enjoy traditional breakfast and lunch choices at no cost. Families will be asked to pay off, or to contribute within their means when they can, toward the outstanding balance on their student’s lunch account; the Dine with Dignity Fund pays the remainder. Community members who would like to contribute to the Dine with Dignity Fund can donate online at: https://www.mcpsfoundation.org/pages/our-programs/dine-with-dignity-program
- Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
- Like us on Facebook! Glen Haven PTA @glenhavenpta (https://www.facebook.com/glenhavenpta/)
- Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
- Sign up for eScrip at escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Community Events and News:
Story Time at the National Postal Museum – Taking place every Monday, the program includes a book reading and activities for little ones in the museum’s education space. Stay to explore the rest of the museum, which is full of interactive exhibits that all ages can enjoy. Story Time is at 10:30am and repeated at 11am. Admission is free. Check out their calendar: https://postalmuseum.si.edu/visit/calendar.html
Montgomery Parks Programs and Activities – Montgomery County Recreation and Montgomery Parks have hundreds of exciting programs and classes to promote active and healthy lifestyles. For more information, visit ActiveMONTGOMERY (https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty).
Silver Spring Library
- Write to Your Favorite Author: March is National Reading Month! In honor of National Reading Month, during March there will be a mailbox on the 5th floor waiting to receive letters and drawings for your favorite authors!
- Irish Dancing with the Culkin School: Culkin Dance School performs and educates about Irish Dance ( Saturday, March 14 from 3:00pm – 3:30pm)
- Read to a Dog: Need practice reading aloud? Dogs make great listeners! (Tuesday, March 17 from 7:00pm – 8:00pm)
- Makerspace- Musical Instruments: Make a musical instrument! (Saturday, March 28 from 11:00am – 12:00pm)
- Voter Registration Drive – Come to register or update your voter information! (Tuesdays from 10:00am – 5:00pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 3:00 pm)
- Baby Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Preschool Story Time (Tuesdays 1:30 pm)
- Pajama Story Time (Tuesdays 6:30 pm)
- Toddler Story Time (Wednesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Lego Weekend Play (Saturdays at 12:30 pm)
- Create a Graphic Novel: Write and illustrate your own graphic novel page. (Saturdays in March from 10:30am – 12:30pm; registration required)
- Sensory Storytime: Sensory-friendly storytime is designed for children of all ages who prefer smaller groups due to sensory processing disorders including those on the Autism spectrum with ADHD and other special needs. (Thursday March 12 from 5:00pm – 5:45pm; registration required)
- Play Date at the Library (Mondays and Thursdays at 9:30 am)
- Lego Club (Mondays from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm)
- Circle Time with the Infant and Toddlers Staff (Tuesdays from 10:30 am – 11:30 am)
- Toddler Storytime (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays from 5 pm – 7 pm)
- Baby Storytime (Saturdays at 11 am)
Kensington Park Library
- Read to a Dog: Drop in and read to a dog! Bring your own book to read or pick one from our wonderful children’s collection! (Saturday March 14 and 21 at 10:30 am)
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays at 7 pm)
- Storytime for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Wednesdays at 11:15 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 5:30 pm)
School Information for Parents:
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/elementary/guides.aspx
The MCPS Parent Academy – The Parent Academy is designed to inform and empower families as advocates and partners in their children’s education. Workshops provide families useful information that will help them support their children’s academic and social-emotional well-being, as well as helping them to be college and career ready. Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
A Look Ahead:
- Mar 27 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm); 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- Mar 30-April 3 – College and Career Awareness week!! Scholastic Book Fair!!
- April is the Month of the Military Child!!
- April 2 – Light it Up Blue (Autism awareness)
- April 3 – Career Day (9:15 am – 11:15 am); STEAM Day (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)
- Apr 6-13 Spring Break: No school for students and teachers; Offices closed April 10 and 13
- April 14 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm); National Assistant Principal’s Day!!
- April 15 – Drama Club parent meeting (7:30 pm – 8 pm); Report cards distributed
- April 17 – Dinner and Movie, sponsored by the Sligo and Glen Haven PTAs (6:45 pm in the Sligo Middle School gym)
- April 22 – Secretaries Day!!
- April 23 – Take your Child to Work day!!
- April 24 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am); Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast (9:45 am – 10:45 am)
- April 28 – Primary elections: No school for students and teachers; PTA bake sale! Come vote and enjoy some delicious treats in support of democracy!
- April 30 – Spring Academic Night (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May is National Military Appreciation Month and Children’s Mental Health Month!!
- May 1 – School Principal’s Day!!
- May 4-8 – Teacher Appreciation Week!!
- May 5 - Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 6 – National School Nurse Day!
- May 12 – Spring Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 22 – Drama Club performance (7pm – 8:30 pm)
- May 25 – Memorial Day: Offices and schools closed
- May 29 – Drama Club performance (7pm – 8:30 pm)
- June 2 – Pre-K-2nd Field Day; Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 3 – 3-5 Field Day
- June 10 – Pre- K Promotion Celebration (9:30 am – 10:30 am)
- June 11 – Grades 1 & 2 Awards Assembly (2 pm – 3 pm); Grades 3 & 4 Awards Assembly & Picnic (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Grade 5 Promotion (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 12 – Kindergarten Promotion & Picnic (10 am – 11 am)
- June 15 – Last day of school for students!!! Early release day for all students (12:55 pm)
- June 16 – Professional day for teachers
- **June 23 – Report cards mailed home