This Week and Next:
- Feb 28 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm); 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- March is the Month of the Military Caregiver!!
Thanks to all who volunteered and helped with last week’s Annual Staff Appreciation Chili Luncheon! It was a deliciously wonderful success, and a lovely way to say THANK YOU to our Glen Haven Staff!!
- School Hours are 9:00 am – 3:25 pm (doors open at 8:40). Please be mindful that instruction for students begins at 9 am. Because we want to assure that students have the entire school day to use for lessons and school work, parents who need to be in the building at or after 9 am will need a guest sticker.
- MCPS provides meals for students with negative account balances through Dine with Dignity program. Launched in November 2018, the Dine with Dignity program allows students with negative account balances to enjoy traditional breakfast and lunch choices at no cost. Families will be asked to pay off, or to contribute within their means when they can, toward the outstanding balance on their student’s lunch account; the Dine with Dignity Fund pays the remainder. Community members who would like to contribute to the Dine with Dignity Fund can donate online at: https://www.mcpsfoundation.org/pages/our-programs/dine-with-dignity-program
- Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
- Like us on Facebook! Glen Haven PTA @glenhavenpta (https://www.facebook.com/glenhavenpta/)
- Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
- Sign up for eScrip at escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Community Events and News:
Story Time at the National Postal Museum – Taking place every Monday, the program includes a book reading and activities for little ones in the museum’s education space. Stay to explore the rest of the museum, which is full of interactive exhibits that all ages can enjoy. Story Time is at 10:30am and repeated at 11am. Admission is free. Check out their calendar: https://postalmuseum.si.edu/visit/calendar.html
Montgomery Parks Programs and Activities – Montgomery County Recreation and Montgomery Parks have hundreds of exciting programs and classes to promote active and healthy lifestyles. For more information, visit ActiveMONTGOMERY (https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty).
Silver Spring Library
- Daytocode Robotics Workshop: Students will learn how to assemble and program robot kits to move, run, fly, and more! (Thursday February 27 from 5 pm – 7 pm)
- Book Club: The Magic Assembly with Brian Curry: Brian Curry brings classic literature magically to life with multimedia, music, and illusions in Book Club The Magic Assembly (Saturday February 29 from 11 am – 12 pm)
- Write to Your Favorite Author: March is National Reading Month! In honor of National Reading Month, during March there will be a mailbox on the 5th floor waiting to receive letters and drawings for your favorite authors!
- Irish Dancing with the Culkin School: Culkin Dance School performs and educates about Irish Dance.( Saturday, March 14 from 3:00pm – 3:30pm)
- Read to a Dog: Need practice reading aloud? Dogs make great listeners! (Tuesday, March 17 from 7:00pm – 8:00pm)
- Makerspace- Musical Instruments: Make a musical instrument! (Saturday, March 28 from 11:00am – 12:00pm)
- Voter Registration Drive – Come to register or update your voter information! (Tuesdays from 10:00am – 5:00pm)
- Baby Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Preschool Story Time (Tuesdays 1:30 pm)
- Pajama Story Time (Tuesdays 6:30 pm)
- Toddler Story Time (Wednesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Lego Weekend Play (Saturdays at 12:30 pm)
- Create a Graphic Novel: Write and illustrate your own graphic novel page. (Saturdays in March from 10:30am – 12:30pm; registration required)
- Sensory Storytime: Sensory-friendly storytime is designed for children of all ages who prefer smaller groups due to sensory processing disorders including those on the Autism spectrum with ADHD and other special needs. (Thursday March 12 from 5:00pm – 5:45pm; registration required)
- Play Date at the Library (Mondays and Thursdays at 9:30 am)
- Lego Club (Mondays from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm)
- Circle Time with the Infant and Toddlers Staff (Tuesdays from 10:30 am – 11:30 am)
- Toddler Storytime (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays from 5 pm – 7 pm)
- Baby Storytime (Saturdays at 11 am)
Kensington Park Library
- Read to a Dog: Drop in and read to a dog! Bring your own book to read or pick one from our wonderful children’s collection! (Saturday March 14 and 21 at 10:30 am)
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays at 7 pm)
- Storytime for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Wednesdays at 11:15 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 5:30 pm)
School Information for Parents:
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/elementary/guides.aspx
The MCPS Parent Academy – The Parent Academy is designed to inform and empower families as advocates and partners in their children’s education. Workshops provide families useful information that will help them support their children’s academic and social-emotional well-being, as well as helping them to be college and career ready. Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
A Look Ahead:
- Mar 10 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- Mar 27 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm); 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- Mar 30-April 3 – College and Career Awareness week!!
- April is the Month of the Military Child!!
- April 2 – Light it Up Blue (Autism awareness)
- April 3 – Career Day (9:15 am – 11:15 am); STEAM Day (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)
- Apr 6-13 Spring Break: No school for students and teachers; Offices closed April 10 and 13
- April 14 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm); National Assistant Principal’s Day!!
- April 15 – Drama Club parent meeting (7:30 pm – 8 pm); Report cards distributed
- April 22 – Secretaries Day!!
- April 23 – Take your Child to Work day!!
- April 24 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am); Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast (9:45 am – 10:45 am)
- April 28 – Primary elections: No school for students and teachers; PTA bake sale! Come vote and enjoy some delicious treats in support of democracy!
- April 30 – Spring Academic Night (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May is National Military Appreciation Month and Children’s Mental Health Month!!
- May 1 – School Principal’s Day!!
- May 4-8 – Teacher Appreciation Week!!
- May 5 - Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 6 – National School Nurse Day!
- May 12 – Spring Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 22 – Drama Club performance (7pm – 8:30 pm)
- May 25 – Memorial Day: Offices and schools closed
- May 29 – Drama Club performance (7pm – 8:30 pm)
- June 2 – Pre-K-2nd Field Day; Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 3 – 3-5 Field Day
- June 10 – Pre- K Promotion Celebration (9:30 am – 10:30 am)
- June 11 – Grades 1 & 2 Awards Assembly (2 pm – 3 pm); Grades 3 & 4 Awards Assembly & Picnic (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Grade 5 Promotion (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 12 – Kindergarten Promotion & Picnic (10 am – 11 am)
- June 15 – Last day of school for students!!! Early release day for all students (12:55 pm)
- June 16 – Professional day for teachers
- **June 23 – Report cards mailed home