This Week and Next:
- Jan 27 – Professional day for teachers; no school for students
- Jan 27-31 – The Great Kindness Challenge
- Jan 31 – Family movie night at Glen Haven: Abominable! (6:30 pm)
- Feb 4 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting: online safety (6:30 pm – 8 pm); Report cards distributed
- Feb 7 – Drama Club Carnival!! (6:30 pm – 8:30 pm)
- Our Pennies for Patients campaign continues! Pennies for Patients is calling all heroes to join our squad! Families, our school has decided to take on blood cancer and our mission is to help find a cure. Be on the lookout for more information this week that will allow your child to participate in this rewarding event and emphasizes the importance of social and emotional learning and gaining the experience of helping both children and adults in their fight against blood cancer. Check out the school link at: https://events.lls.org/pages/nca/Glen-Haven-Elementary-School-2020 and get started with online donations today! More information to follow!
- Family Movie Night: Join us Friday January 31 for Abominable! FREE admission; concessions (e.g., pizza, popcorn, desserts) will be for sale to raise funds for the PTA. Wear your PJs and bring a blanket to sit on! Doors open at 6:30 pm, movie starts at 7:00 pm. *This is not a drop off event; a parent or guardian must be present*
- Interested in volunteering? We still need plenty of help (i.e., donations of snacks, drinks, or your time!) to make this a great event! Check out our volunteer opportunities by clicking here!
- Parent Information Session/PTA meeting next week: Please join the Glen Haven PTA on Tuesday, February 4, 2020 to learn more about protecting our children online. Mr. DeVivo (Community Outreach Specialist from the US Attorney’s Office) will present on “Innocence Stolen: Protecting our Children Online”, that reviews the array of threats students face when they go online. There will be array of internet dangers presented. This program is offered to equip and empower school staff, parents and the community to address the many teachable moments that occur when accessing the internet. The presentation speaks directly to adults to promote conversations within families about this topic, guidance directly to children is not provided. We hope all families can join us for this very informative meeting! FREE pizza will be served at 6:30 pm and the presentation begins at 7:00 pm (running until 8:30 pm). Alphabest will provide supervision for school-aged children from 7-8:30 pm. ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE- membership is not required to attend!!***
- School Hours are 9:00 am – 3:25 pm (doors open at 8:40). Please be mindful that instruction for students begins at 9 am. Because we want to assure that students have the entire school day to use for lessons and school work, parents who need to be in the building at or after 9 am will need a guest sticker.
- MCPS provides meals for students with negative account balances through Dine with Dignity program. Launched in November 2018, the Dine with Dignity program allows students with negative account balances to enjoy traditional breakfast and lunch choices at no cost. Families will be asked to pay off, or to contribute within their means when they can, toward the outstanding balance on their student’s lunch account; the Dine with Dignity Fund pays the remainder. Community members who would like to contribute to the Dine with Dignity Fund can donate online at: https://www.mcpsfoundation.org/pages/our-programs/dine-with-dignity-program
Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
- Sign up for eScrip at escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
Community Events and News:
Story Time at the National Postal Museum – Taking place every Monday, the program includes a book reading and activities for little ones in the museum’s education space. Stay to explore the rest of the museum, which is full of interactive exhibits that all ages can enjoy. Story Time is at 10:30am and repeated at 11am. Admission is free. Check out their calendar: https://postalmuseum.si.edu/visit/calendar.html
Montgomery Parks Programs and Activities – Montgomery County Recreation and Montgomery Parks have hundreds of exciting programs and classes to promote active and healthy lifestyles. For more information, visit ActiveMONTGOMERY (https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty).
Silver Spring Library
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 3:00 pm)
- Baby Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Preschool Story Time (Tuesdays 1:30 pm)
- Pajama Story Time (Tuesdays 6:30 pm)
- Toddler Story Time (Wednesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Lego Weekend Play (Saturdays at 12:30 pm; Sundays at 1 pm)
- Toddler Storytime (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Building Block Time (Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30 am)
Kensington Park Library
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays at 7 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 6 pm)
- Storytime for Babies (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Storytime for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Wednesdays at 11:15 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 5:30 pm)
School Information for Parents:
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/elementary/guides.aspx
The MCPS Parent Academy – The Parent Academy is designed to inform and empower families as advocates and partners in their children’s education. Workshops provide families useful information that will help them support their children’s academic and social-emotional well-being, as well as helping them to be college and career ready. Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
A Look Ahead:
- Feb 12 – No school for Pre-K students (Pre-K Professional Development day)
- Feb 17 – President’s Day: offices and schools closed
- Feb 28 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm); 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- March is the Month of the Military Caregiver!!
- Mar 3 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- Mar 27 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm); 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- Mar 30-April 3 – College and Career Awareness week!!
- April is the Month of the Military Child!!
- April 2 – Light it Up Blue (Autism awareness)
- April 3 – Career Day (9:15 am – 11:15 am); STEAM Day (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)
- Apr 6-13 Spring Break: No school for students and teachers; Offices closed April 10 and 13
- April 14 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm); National Assistant Principal’s Day!!
- April 15 – Drama Club parent meeting (7:30 pm – 8 pm); Report cards distributed
- April 22 – Secretaries Day!!
- April 23 – Take your Child to Work day!!
- April 24 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am); Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast (9:45 am – 10:45 am)
- April 28 – Primary elections: No school for students and teachers; PTA bake sale! Come vote and enjoy some delicious treats in support of democracy!
- April 30 – Spring Academic Night (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May is National Military Appreciation Month and Children’s Mental Health Month!!
- May 1 – School Principal’s Day!!
- May 4-8 – Teacher Appreciation Week!!
- May 5 - Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 6 – National School Nurse Day!
- May 12 – Spring Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 22 – Drama Club performance (7pm – 8:30 pm)
- May 25 – Memorial Day: Offices and schools closed
- May 29 – Drama Club performance (7pm – 8:30 pm)
- June 2 – Pre-K-2nd Field Day; Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 3 – 3-5 Field Day
- June 10 – Pre- K Promotion Celebration (9:30 am – 10:30 am)
- June 11 – Grades 1 & 2 Awards Assembly (2 pm – 3 pm); Grades 3 & 4 Awards Assembly & Picnic (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Grade 5 Promotion (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 12 – Kindergarten Promotion & Picnic (10 am – 11 am)
- June 15 – Last day of school for students!!! Early release day for all students (12:55 pm)
- June 16 – Professional day for teachers
- **June 23 – Report cards mailed home