- So, “What exactly does the PTA do”, you ask? Our PTA helps to organize fun after-school activities and community events (e.g., movie nights), as well as teacher and staff appreciation events. Our PTA also helps provide resources for parents to socialize and form a supportive community (e.g., monthly informational meetings and 2nd Cup of Coffee), so you always know what’s going on at Glen Haven. In addition, your PTA membership helps fund mini-grants for school events, educational materials, and classroom accommodations. Need any more motivation to join? You can also win an ice cream party for your child!
This Week and Next:
- November is Military Family month!!
- Nov 11 & 12 – Early release days for all students (12:55 pm); Parent-Teacher conferences
- Nov 15 – Family Movie Night: Toy Story 4
- Nov 20 – Parent Academy: Positive Communication (GHES Media Center 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm); Report cards distributed
- Nov 22 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- Family Movie Night: Join us in the GHES cafeteria this Friday November 15 for Toy Story 4! FREE admission; delicious concessions will be for sale. Wear your PJs and bring a blanket to sit on! Doors open at 6:30 pm, movie starts at 7:00 pm. *This is not a drop off event, a parent or guardian must be present*
- We are looking for volunteers to donate baked goods, healthy treats, drinks, or their time for the movie night! Sign up at Fall Family Movie Night
- Positive Communication with Your Child. Is it difficult to interact with your child? During this workshop, you will learn strategies to strengthen family communication, explore techniques to understand verbal cues, and establish age appropriate expectations for behavior and consequences. Presented by Parent Assistant Resource (PAR). Recommended for families of elementary, middle, and high school students. Join us Wednesday November 20 for Parent Academy: Positive Communication (GHES Media Center; 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm).
- Join us for a Dine-Out Date at Chipotle! Foil your dinner plans and stop by the Chipotle at 11160 Viers Mill Rd in Wheaton for our fundraiser on Wednesday, December 04 from 4 pm – 8 pm. We’re raising money to support Glen Haven Elementary School, so just download a flyer from the link below or mention the fundraiser at checkout and they’ll donate 33% of the proceeds to the cause! Click here for more details. Can’t wait to see you!
- It’s time for PTA’s annual class competitions!
- Our next competition is for a class ice cream party! The class with the most PTA memberships by December 6 will win an ice cream party (to be held in Spring)!
- Please help your children(s) class(es) win by submitting a membership and encouraging others to do so! Memberships are just $10 and they are not limited to parents: grandparents, other family members, friends, and neighbors can support the school by joining! Simply complete and return the membership form with payment to your child’s teacher (click https://ghespta.org/2019/09/10/glen-haven-pta-membership-form-2019-2020/)
- School Hours are 9:00 am – 3:25 pm (doors open at 8:40). Please be mindful that instruction for students begins at 9 am. Because we want to assure that students have the entire school day to use for lessons and school work, parents who need to be in the building at or after 9 am will need a guest sticker.
- MCPS provides meals for students with negative account balances through Dine with Dignity program. Launched in November 2018, the Dine with Dignity program allows students with negative account balances to enjoy traditional breakfast and lunch choices at no cost. Families will be asked to pay off, or to contribute within their means when they can, toward the outstanding balance on their student’s lunch account; the Dine with Dignity Fund pays the remainder. Community members who would like to contribute to the Dine with Dignity Fund can donate online at: https://www.mcpsfoundation.org/pages/our-programs/dine-with-dignity-program
Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
- Sign up for eScrip at escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
Community Events and News:
Story Time at the National Postal Museum. Taking place every Monday, the program includes a book reading and activities for little ones in the museum’s education space. Stay to explore the rest of the museum, which is full of interactive exhibits that all ages can enjoy. Story Time is at 10:30am and repeated at 11am. Admission is free. Check out their calendar: https://postalmuseum.si.edu/visit/calendar.html
Montgomery Parks Programs and Activities – Montgomery County Recreation and Montgomery Parks have hundreds of exciting programs and classes to promote active and healthy lifestyles. For more information, visit ActiveMONTGOMERY (https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty).
Silver Spring Library
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 3:00 pm)
- Baby Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Preschool Story Time (Tuesdays 1:30 pm)
- Pajama Story Time (Tuesdays 6:30 pm)
- Toddler Story Time (Wednesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Lego Weekend Play (Saturdays at 12:30 pm; Sundays at 1 pm)
- Toddler Storytime (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Building Block Time (Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30 am)
Kensington Park Library
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays at 7 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 6 pm)
- Storytime for Babies (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Storytime for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Wednesdays at 11:15 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 5:30 pm)
School Information for Parents:
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/elementary/guides.aspx
The MCPS Parent Academy – The Parent Academy is designed to inform and empower families as advocates and partners in their children’s education. Workshops provide families useful information that will help them support their children’s academic and social-emotional well-being, as well as helping them to be college and career ready. Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
- Some great-sounding ones coming up include:
- Effective Parent-Teacher Conferences workshop: Nov 6, 7-8:30 pm
- MCPS Mental Health Fair: Nov 9, 10 am – 2 pm
- Supporting LGBTQ Youth: Nov 14, 7-8:30 pm
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
A Look Ahead:
- Nov 25 – Coat Drive begins!!
- Nov 26 – International Night (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- Nov 27 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm)
- Nov 28 & 29 – Thanksgiving; offices and schools closed
- Dec 3 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- Dec 4 – Chipotle fundraiser! (4 pm – 8 pm)
- Dec 12 – No school for Pre-K students (Pre-K Professional Development day)
- Dec 16-20 – PBIS Spirit week
- Dec 20 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am); Winter Sing-a-Long (Pre-K-2nd; 2 pm – 2:45 pm); Winter Wonderland class activities (2:45 pm – 3:15 pm)
- Dec 23-31 – Winter break: No school for students and teachers; Offices closed Dec 24-25
- Jan 1 – New Year’s Day: offices and schools closed
- Jan 7 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- Jan 10 – Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s “Pennies for Patients” kick-off assembly (Pre-K-2nd grades 9:30 am – 10 am; 3rd-5th grades 10:15 am – 10:45 am)
- Jan 14 – Winter Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- Jan 20 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: offices and schools closed
- Jan 24 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm); 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- Jan 27 – Professional day for teachers; no school for students
- Jan 27-31 – The Great Kindness Challenge
- Feb 4 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm); Report cards distributed
- Feb 7 – Drama Club Carnival!! (6:30 pm – 8:30 pm)
- Feb 12 – No school for Pre-K students (Pre-K Professional Development day)
- Feb 17 – President’s Day: offices and schools closed
- Feb 28 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm); 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- March is the Month of the Military Caregiver!!
- Mar 3 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- Mar 27 – Early release day for all students (12:55 pm); 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- Mar 30-April 3 – College and Career Awareness week!!
- April is the Month of the Military Child!!
- April 2 – Light it Up Blue (Autism awareness)
- April 3 – Career Day (9:15 am – 11:15 am); STEAM Day (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)
- Apr 6-13 Spring Break: No school for students and teachers; Offices closed April 10 and 13
- April 14 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm); National Assistant Principal’s Day!!
- April 15 – Drama Club parent meeting (7:30 pm – 8 pm); Report cards distributed
- April 22 – Secretaries Day!!
- April 23 – Take your Child to Work day!!
- April 24 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am); Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast (9:45 am – 10:45 am)
- April 28 – No school for students and teachers
- April 30 – Spring Academic Night (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May is National Military Appreciation Month and Children’s Mental Health Month!!
- May 1 – School Principal’s Day!!
- May 4-8 – Teacher Appreciation Week!!
- May 5 - Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 6 – National School Nurse Day!
- May 12 – Spring Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 22 – Drama Club performance (7pm – 8:30 pm)
- May 25 – Memorial Day: Offices and schools closed
- May 29 – Drama Club performance (7pm – 8:30 pm)
- June 2 – Pre-K-2nd Field Day; Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 3 – 3-5 Field Day
- June 10 – Pre- K Promotion Celebration (9:30 am – 10:30 am)
- June 11 – Grades 1 & 2 Awards Assembly (2 pm – 3 pm); Grades 3 & 4 Awards Assembly & Picnic (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Grade 5 Promotion (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 12 – Kindergarten Promotion & Picnic (10 am – 11 am)
- June 15 – Last day of school for students!!! Early release day for all students (12:55 pm)
- June 16 – Professional day for teachers
- **June 23 – Report cards mailed home