Lots of near-end-of-school-year stuff going on!
This Week and Beyond:
- April 29 – May 9 – PARCC testing dates for grades 3, 4, and 5
- May 1 – National Military Appreciation month begins; School Principal’s Day
- May 6-10 – Children’s Mental Health Matters week; Teacher Appreciation week; Staff Appreciation week
- May 7 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 8 – National School Nurse Day
- May 9 – Spring Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- PARCC testing begins this week! Grades 3-5 will be taking the PARCC (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers) tests. See the school website for more information (https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/glenhavenes/news/news.aspx?id=627013)!
- Grade 3: May 3, May 7-9 (Math) and May 15-17 (Reading)
- Grade 4: April 29-May 2 (Math) and May 10, May 13-14 (Reading)
- Grade 5: April 29-May 2 (Math) and May 10, May 13-14 (Reading)
- Our Read-a-Thon has now finished, but donations can STILL BE MADE until May 4th!!! Visit https://www.read-a-thon.com/school/Glen-Haven-PTA_25025 to donate to the Glen Haven PTA.
- CONGRATULATIONS to Sylvain from Ms. Logan’s class for reading the most minutes and Bethany from Ms. Rykoskey’s class for raising the most money for our school!
- Lunch with Principal, Ice Cream Party, and Pizza Party winners will be contacted with the details of the events soon!
- Thank you to all our supporters! With your support, we raised close to $2,000
- Staff appreciation week is coming up (next week May 6-10).
- Our kids’ teachers play such a positive part in their lives- let them know you appreciate them by sending a note or card of appreciation. It would mean so much to them!
- In honor of the excellent staff and teachers at Glen Haven, the PTA staff appreciation committee will be honoring our teachers and staff with Hawaiian themed events next week! We will be hosting a breakfast on Monday, May 6th and a Luau Luncheon on Thursday, May 9th. Please see sign up genius below to help us with this event: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040C48AAA922A75-teacher.
- Parent Information Session/PTA meeting next week: At last month’s PTA/Parent Informational meeting, the nominating committee presented the “slate” of officers (positions which require the vote: President, President-elect, Vice President, VP Communications, Treasurer, Treasurer-elect, and Secretary) to vote on for the 2019-2020 school year. Voting for the slate, as well as the other volunteers for leadership positions, will take place at this month’s PTA meeting (May 7). We hope all families will be able to join us Tuesday evening- FREE pizza will be served at 6:30 PM and the presentation begins at 7:00 PM. Alphabest will provide supervision for children from 7-8PM. ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE- membership is not required to attend!!***
- Wanna join the team? We are still looking for volunteers to lead Membership, Translation, Audit, and (co-lead) Room Parents!.
- Welcome to new (and returning) Kindergarten parents! As both a PTA rep and a parent of another incoming Kindergartener, it was great to meet so many of you during the orientation. Our weekly newsletter, The Scoop, will have plenty of timely information, but please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!
- The school year has been extended; please see the revised academic calendar at the end of this email.
- MCPS provides meals for students with negative account balances through Dine with Dignity program. Launched in November 2018, the Dine with Dignity program allows students with negative account balances to enjoy traditional breakfast and lunch choices at no cost. Families will be asked to pay off, or to contribute within their means when they can, toward the outstanding balance on their student’s lunch account; the Dine with Dignity Fund pays the remainder.
- Community members who would like to contribute to the Dine with Dignity Fund can donate online at: https://www.mcpsfoundation.org/pages/our-programs/dine-with-dignity-program
- Fifth grade parents! If you weren’t able to make our December Parent Information Session/PTA meeting to meet administrators from Sligo Middle School, no worries! Check out our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/glenhavenpta/) to view a recording of the presentation by Sligo Middle School principal Shauna Jorandby, 6th grade Coordinator Patrick Bilock, and Sligo PTA president Rachel Cornwell.
Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
- Sign up for eScrip at escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
Community Events and News:
SSNS TRUCK TOUCH – Fun for Kids of ALL Ages! Join Silver Spring Nursery School’s 16th Annual Truck Touch on Saturday, May 4, 10 am-1 pm. The parking lot will be filled with vehicles of every kind for children to explore, including Montgomery County construction trucks, a fire engine, rescue vehicles, a school bus, Metro bus, and more. Enjoy live entertainment, a silent auction, food and drinks, arts and crafts, games, and face painting! Admission is $5/person, and children under age 2 are FREE. Additional tickets for food and activities can be purchased at the entrance. All proceeds benefit SSNS, celebrating 75 years of sharing, caring, and helping children learn through play. For more details and an updated list of vehicles and silent auction donors, go to https://www.silverspringnurseryschool.org/truck-touch or https://www.facebook.com/events/2130463637042579/
Story Time at the National Postal Museum. Taking place every Monday, the program includes a book reading and activities for little ones in the museum’s education space. Stay to explore the rest of the museum, which is full of interactive exhibits that all ages can enjoy. Story Time is at 10:30am and repeated at 11am. Admission is free.
Montgomery Parks Programs and Activities – Montgomery County Recreation and Montgomery Parks have hundreds of exciting programs and classes to promote active and healthy lifestyles. For more information, visit ActiveMONTGOMERY (https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty).
Silver Spring Library
- English Conversation Club (Mondays at 11:30 am)
- Lunchtime Yoga Flow (Tuesdays at 12 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 3:30 pm)
- Baby Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Preschool Story Time (Tuesdays 1:30 pm)
- Toddler Story Time (Wednesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 6 pm)
- Lego Weekend Play (Saturdays at 12:30 pm; Sundays at 1 pm)
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays 6:30 pm)
- Toddler Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am)
- Building Block Time (Mondays and Wednesdays at 9:30 am)
- Me and You-kulele Sing-a-long (Thursdays 4 pm)
Kensington Park Library
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays at 7 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 6 pm)
- Storytime for Babies (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Storytime for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Wednesdays at 11:15 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 5:30 pm)
School Information for Parents:
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/elementary/guides.aspx
The MCPS Parent Academy – Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
A Look Ahead:
- May 24 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- May 27 – Memorial Day—Offices and schools closed
- May 31 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- June 4 — Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 5 – Professional day for teachers
- June 6 – Field Day grades K-2
- June 7 – Field Day grades 3-5; second semester SSL hours due
- June 10 – Kindergarten Promotion/Picnic (10 am – 11 am)
- June 11 – PreK/PEP Promotion/Celebration (9:30 am – 10:30 am)
- June 12 –Grades 3-4 Awards/Picnic (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Grades 1-2 Awards (2 pm -3 pm); Grade 5 Promotion!
- June 14 – Last day of school for students! Early release day for all students
- June 17 – Professional day for teachers
- **Report cards will be mailed the week of June 24, 2019