This Week and Beyond:
- First week of April: Spring Book Fair!
- April is Military Child month!
- April 2 – Light It Up Blue (Autism Awareness Day); Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 3 – Paraprofessional Appreciation Day; Early release day for all students (12:55 pm); end of quarter planning
- April 5 – Drama Club fundraiser at Chuck-E-Cheese (3 pm – 9 pm)
- April 8-12 – PBIS Spirit Week
- April 9-10 – Kindergarten orientation for incoming students. No school for current kindergarten students.
- April 10 – Drama Club parent meeting (7:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 12 – Career Day (9:15 am – 11:15 am) ; STEAM Day (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)
- Our Scholastic Book Fair is this week (April 1-5)!! We’ll be open from 8:30am – 3pm on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, during the Parent Information Session/PTA meeting on the night of April 2nd, 8:30am-12pm on Wednesday, and Friday 8:30-11am. With any book purchase over $1, get a ticket to win a basket with a selection of items from the fair! All purchases benefit our school! Hope to see you there!
- Our Read-a-Thon will be starting this week (Tuesday April 2), and running for two weeks. Your support will help us raise money for our kids, while also at the same time promote reading skills and the value of education! Visit https://www.read-a-thon.com/school/Glen-Haven-PTA_25025 to donate to readers or the Glen Haven PTA.
- Parent Information Session/PTA meeting this week: Please join the Glen Haven PTA on Tuesday, April 2, which will feature our Cluster Security Coordinator as a guest speaker. Additionally, we’ll be introducing a slate of officers at this month’s meeting, and talking about the vote coming up at our May meeting! We hope all families will be able to join us Tuesday evening- FREE pizza will be served at 6:30 PM and the presentation begins at 7:00 PM. Alphabest will provide supervision for children from 7-8PM. ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE- membership is not required to attend!!***
- Northwood Athletics Association Annual Mulch Sale: Support Northwood High School athletes and coaches with the athletic association’s biggest fundraiser. Buying mulch directly supports the equipment and maintenance needs of Northwood’s athletic teams. Purchase 3 cubic foot bags of double-shredded hardwood mulch for…
- $5.00 – Pick-up at Northwood on April 6
- $6.00 – Delivery to your home on April 6 within 20901
- 10 bag minimum for delivery
- $5 delivery fee for homes outside of 20901 (to recoup costs & give more money to athletes)
- Purchase mulch at the Northwood Athletics Association webstore by April
- Kindergarten orientation will be Tuesday and Wednesday April 9 and 10. Current Kindergarten students will not have school those days- enjoy the days off!
- Do you know an upcoming Kindergartener? Remind their parents to call Glen Haven to schedule orientation for their student!
- The school year has been extended; please see the revised academic calendar at the end of this email.
- MCPS provides meals for students with negative account balances through Dine with Dignity program. Launched in November 2018, the Dine with Dignity program allows students with negative account balances to enjoy traditional breakfast and lunch choices at no cost. Families will be asked to pay off, or to contribute within their means when they can, toward the outstanding balance on their student’s lunch account; the Dine with Dignity Fund pays the remainder.
- Community members who would like to contribute to the Dine with Dignity Fund can donate online at: https://www.mcpsfoundation.org/pages/our-programs/dine-with-dignity-program
- Fifth grade parents! If you weren’t able to make our December Parent Information Session/PTA meeting to meet administrators from Sligo Middle School, no worries! Check out our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/glenhavenpta/) to view a recording of the presentation by Sligo Middle School principal Shauna Jorandby, 6th grade Coordinator Patrick Bilock, and Sligo PTA president Rachel Cornwell.
Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
- Sign up for eScrip at escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
Community Events and News:
Story Time at the National Postal Museum. Taking place every Monday, the program includes a book reading and activities for little ones in the museum’s education space. Stay to explore the rest of the museum, which is full of interactive exhibits that all ages can enjoy. Story Time is at 10:30am and repeated at 11am. Admission is free.
Montgomery Parks Programs and Activities – Montgomery County Recreation and Montgomery Parks have hundreds of exciting programs and classes to promote active and healthy lifestyles. For more information, visit ActiveMONTGOMERY (https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty).
Silver Spring Library
- English Conversation Club (Mondays at 11:30 am)
- Lunchtime Yoga Flow (Tuesdays at 12 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 3:30 pm)
- Baby Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Preschool Story Time (Tuesdays 1:30 pm)
- Toddler Story Time (Wednesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 6 pm)
- Lego Weekend Play (Saturdays at 12:30 pm; Sundays at 1 pm)
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays 6:30 pm)
- Toddler Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am)
- Building Block Time (Mondays and Wednesdays at 9:30 am)
- Me and You-kulele Sing-a-long (Thursdays 4 pm)
Kensington Park Library
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays at 7 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 6 pm)
- Storytime for Babies (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Storytime for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Wednesdays at 11:15 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 5:30 pm)
School Information for Parents:
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/elementary/guides.aspx
The MCPS Parent Academy – Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
A Look Ahead:
- April 16 – Report cards distributed
- April 17, 18, 19, 22 – Spring Break—No school for students and teachers; offices closed April 19 and 22
- April 20 – Earth Day! Spring clean up, more details to follow
- April 24 – Secretaries’ Day
- April 25 – Take Your Child to Work Day
- April 26 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am); Volunteer Appreciation Brunch (10 am – 11 am)
- May 1 – National Military Appreciation month begins; School Principal’s Day
- May 6-10 – Children’s Mental Health Matters week; Teacher Appreciation week
- May 7 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 8 – National School Nurse Day
- May 9 – Spring Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 24 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- May 27 – Memorial Day—Offices and schools closed
- May 31 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- June 4 — Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 5 – Professional day for teachers
- June 6 – Field Day grades K-2
- June 7 – Field Day grades 3-5; second semester SSL hours due
- June 10 – Kindergarten Promotion/Picnic (10 am – 11 am)
- June 11 – PreK/PEP Promotion/Celebration (9:30 am – 10:30 am)
- June 12 –Grades 3-4 Awards/Picnic (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Grades 1-2 Awards (2 pm -3 pm); Grade 5 Promotion!
- June 14 – Last day of school for students! Early release day for all students
- June 17 – Professional day for teachers
- **Report cards will be mailed the week of June 24, 2019