This Week and Next:
- March is Military Caregiver month!
- March 5 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- Parent Information Session/PTA meeting this week: Have your children enjoyed a movie night, book fair, after school activity, class celebration, or wearing Glen Haven attire? Do you count on the “Weekly Scoop” email to keep you up to date? Parent and community volunteers through the PTA make all this, and more, possible. PTA activities, led by volunteers, raise funding to support instructional materials your children’s teachers use; projects teachers undertake with students; and field trips. In addition, PTA organizes appreciation events for our wonderful Glen Haven staff. To ensure these activities continue, we’re putting out the call for volunteers to help lead the PTA next year. We also need volunteers to assist those leaders! Please join the Glen Haven PTA on Tuesday, March 5, 2019 to learn more about the many options for contributing to Glen Haven’s community, as well as PTA leadership positions. We hope all families will be able to join us Tuesday evening- FREE pizza will be served at 6:30 PM and the presentation begins at 7:00 PM. Alphabest will provide supervision for children from 7-8PM. ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE- membership is not required to attend!!***
- Northwood High School renovation update and meeting
- Dr. Zuckerman, Chief Operating Officer of MCPS, gave a presentation to the Board on Education on Monday, Feb. 25th, updating on the progress toward selecting a holding school site for Northwood during its renovation, which will begin 2020. This presentation is available on the MCPS website: https://www.boarddocs.com/mabe/mcpsmd/Board.nsf/files/B9RJM54DCBAF/$file/FY%202020%20Cap%20Bdgt%20Amend%20CIP%20FY2019-2024%20190225%20PPT.pdf
- In an effort to involve the Northwood community in the process of selecting a holding site, MCPS will host a meeting on Wednesday, March 13th at 6:30-8:00 pm in the Media Center at Northwood High School.
- The following message is from MCPS: “The Board of Education has approved a major facility expansion and upgrade project for Northwood High School, and has asked MCPS staff to evaluate all possible options that could be used as a holding center for Northwood High School during this project. This includes a renovated and expanded Woodward High School; renovations to other MCPS closed school properties; and commercial properties. We will be presenting the results of this analysis to the Board of Education on March 14, and wanted to have an opportunity to share some of the key elements and possibilities with the Northwood Cluster community in advance of that discussion. The meeting on March 13 will include a presentation from our consultant who has been working on this analysis, and time for questions and feedback. The final report to the Board of Education will be available on our website, so people who are interested but cannot attend the March 13 meeting will be able to view the information and provide comments online.”
- Kindergarten orientation will be Tuesday and Wednesday April 9 and 10. Current Kindergarten students will not have school those days- enjoy the days off
- Do you know an upcoming Kindergartener? Remind their parents to call Glen Haven to schedule orientation for their student!
- The school year has been extended; please see the revised academic calendar at the end of this email.
- MCPS provides meals for students with negative account balances through Dine with Dignity program. Launched in November 2018, the Dine with Dignity program allows students with negative account balances to enjoy traditional breakfast and lunch choices at no cost. Families will be asked to pay off, or to contribute within their means when they can, toward the outstanding balance on their student’s lunch account; the Dine with Dignity Fund pays the remainder.
- Community members who would like to contribute to the Dine with Dignity Fund can donate online at: https://www.mcpsfoundation.org/pages/our-programs/dine-with-dignity-program
- Fifth grade parents! If you weren’t able to make our December Parent Information Session/PTA meeting to meet administrators from Sligo Middle School, no worries! Check out our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/glenhavenpta/) to view a recording of the presentation by Sligo Middle School principal Shauna Jorandby, 6th grade Coordinator Patrick Bilock, and Sligo PTA president Rachel Cornwell.
- Giant A+ School Rewards programs continues until March 16, 2019! You can support Glen Haven Elementary School (up to two schools can be supported!):
- Visit giantfood.com and click REGISTER at to create your new online account, or
- Click on SIGN IN – MANAGE MY ACCOUNT – SAVINGS & REWARDS, to log on to your existing online account
- Once you are logged in to your account, you can select a school for A+ Rewards.
- You need your 12-digit GIANT CARD number found on the back of the card. If you have a GIANT CARD but do not know your number, call the GIANT CARD HOTLINE at 1-877-366-2668 and select Option #1. The representatives will be able to provide you your GIANT CARD number.
- If you need a GIANT CARD, please visit your local store to obtain one or visit giantfood.com and click on I NEED A GIANT CARD.
- Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
- Sign up for eScrip at escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- We now have a new way to support your Glen Haven PTA! If you shop on Amazon, use our Amazon Smile link (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-6018965) to donate some of the proceeds for your purchase to Glen Haven PTA. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA!
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
- Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
- Like us on Facebook! Glen Haven PTA @glenhavenpta (https://www.facebook.com/glenhavenpta/)
Community Events and News:
- Story Time at the National Postal Museum. Taking place every Monday, the program includes a book reading and activities for little ones in the museum’s education space. Stay to explore the rest of the museum, which is full of interactive exhibits that all ages can enjoy. Story Time is at 10:30am and repeated at 11am. Admission is free.
- Montgomery Parks Programs and Activities – Montgomery County Recreation and Montgomery Parks have hundreds of exciting programs and classes to promote active and healthy lifestyles. For more information, visit ActiveMONTGOMERY (https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty).
Silver Spring Library
- English Conversation Club (Mondays at 11:30 am)
- Lunchtime Yoga Flow (Tuesdays at 12 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 3:30 pm)
- Baby Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Preschool Story Time (Tuesdays 1:30 pm)
- Toddler Story Time (Wednesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 6 pm)
- Lego Weekend Play (Saturdays at 12:30 pm; Sundays at 1 pm)
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays 6:30 pm)
- Toddler Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am)
- Building Block Time (Mondays and Wednesdays at 9:30 am)
- Me and You-kulele Sing-a-long (Thursdays 4 pm)
Kensington Park Library
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays at 7 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 6 pm)
- Storytime for Babies (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Storytime for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Wednesdays at 11:15 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 5:30 pm)
School Information for Parents:
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/elementary/guides.aspx
The MCPS Parent Academy – Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
A Look Ahead:
- March 21 – Spring Academic Night/STEM Fair (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- March 22 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- April 1 – Military Child month
- April 2 – Light It Up Blue (Autism Awareness Day); Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 3 – Paraprofessional Appreciation Day; Early release day for all students; end of quarter planning
- April 8-12 – PBIS Spirit Week
- April 9-10 – Kindergarten orientation for. No school for current kindergarten students.
- April 10 – Drama Club parent meeting (7:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 12 – Career Day (9:15 am – 11:15 am) ; STEAM Day (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)
- April 16 – Report cards distributed
- April 17, 18, 19, 22 – Spring Break—No school for students and teachers; offices closed April 19 and 22
- April 24 – Secretaries’ Day
- April 25 – Take Your Child to Work Day
- April 26 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am); Volunteer Appreciation Brunch (10 am – 11 am)
- May 1 – National Military Appreciation month begins; School Principal’s Day
- May 6-10 – Children’s Mental Health Matters week; Teacher Appreciation week
- May 7 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 8 – National School Nurse Day
- May 9 – Spring Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 24 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- May 27 – Memorial Day—Offices and schools closed
- May 31 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- June 4 — Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 5 – Professional day for teachers
- June 6 – Field Day grades K-2
- June 7 – Field Day grades 3-5; second semester SSL hours due
- June 10 – Kindergarten Promotion/Picnic (10 am – 11 am)
- June 11 – PreK/PEP Promotion/Celebration (9:30 am – 10:30 am)
- June 12 –Grades 3-4 Awards/Picnic (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Grades 1-2 Awards (2 pm -3 pm); Grade 5 Promotion!
- June 14 – Last day of school for students! Early release day for all students
- June 17 – Professional day for teachers
- **Report cards will be mailed the week of June 24, 2019