Parent Information Session/PTA meeting: Is your fifth grader getting ready for middle school? Are you curious about what the middle school experience will be like for your younger student? We are excited to announce a special guest speaker for our Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Glen Haven Parent Information Session/PTA meeting! Sligo Middle School Principal Shauna-Kay Jorandby and her sixth grade administrator will be joining us to present and answer questions about middle school. We hope all families will be able to join us! FREE pizza will be served at 6:30 PM and the presentation begins at 7:00 PM. Alphabest will provide supervision for children from 7-8PM. ***PTA meetings are hosted by the PTA and OPEN TO EVERYONE- membership is not required to attend!!**
International Night is ON!: Due to the snow day last month, International Night has been rescheduled for Thursday, December 13th from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. We are excited to host another one of our famous fashion shows! We are equally excited to share that we will be sharing our family traditions and cultural cuisine in a new format. This year we will be inviting families to share cultural artifacts, including food, at tables that will be organized by country. Our students will have a chance to travel around the world in just one night by visiting many of the countries our community represents! Look out for more information in your child’s Wednesday folders.
Giant A+ School Rewards programs continues until March 16, 2019! You can support Glen Haven Elementary School (up to two schools can be supported!):
- Visit www.giantfood.com and click REGISTER at to create your new online account, or
- Click on SIGN IN – MANAGE MY ACCOUNT – SAVINGS & REWARDS, to log on to your existing online account
- Once you are logged in to your account, you can select a school for A+ Rewards.
- You need your 12-digit GIANT CARD number found on the back of the card. If you have a GIANT CARD but do not know your number, call the GIANT CARD HOTLINE at 1-877-366-2668 and select Option #1. The representatives will be able to provide you your GIANT CARD number.
- If you need a GIANT CARD, please visit your local store to obtain one or visit www.giantfood.com and click on I NEED A GIANT CARD.
Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
- Sign up for eScrip at www.escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- Sign up and shop at www.smile.amazon.com. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA.
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
This Week and Next:
- December 4 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- December 7 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- December 14 – Take-a-Flake gifts due
Community Events and News:
Story Time at the National Postal Museum. Taking place every Monday, the program includes a book reading and activities for little ones in the museum’s education space. Stay to explore the rest of the museum, which is full of interactive exhibits that all ages can enjoy. Story Time is at 10:30am and repeated at 11am. Admission is free.
Local Libraries (http://host.evanced.info/montgomerycountymd/evanced/eventcalendar)
Silver Spring Library
- English Conversation Club (Mondays at 11:30 am)
- Lunchtime Yoga Flow (Tuesdays at 12 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 3:30 pm)
- Baby Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Preschool Story Time (Tuesdays 1:30 pm)
- Toddler Story Time (Wednesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 6 pm)
- Lego Weekend Play (Saturdays at 12:30 pm; Sundays at 1 pm)
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays 6:30 pm)
- Toddler Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am)
- Building Block Time (Mondays and Wednesdays at 9:30 am)
- Me and You-kulele Sing-a-long (Thursdays 4 pm)
Kensington Park Library
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays at 7 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 6 pm)
- Storytime for Babies (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Storytime for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Wednesdays at 11:15 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 5:30 pm)
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/elementary/guides.aspx
Montgomery Parks Programs and Activities – Montgomery County Recreation and Montgomery Parks have hundreds of exciting programs and classes to promote active and healthy lifestyles. For more information, visit ActiveMONTGOMERY (https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty).
The MCPS Parent Academy – Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
A Look Ahead:
- December 17-21 – PBIS Spirit Week!
- December 20 – Winter Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- December 21 – Winter Concert/Sing-A-Long (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Winter Wonderland class parties (2 pm – 3:15 pm)
- December 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 31 – Winter Break—No school for students and teachers2019
- January 1 – New Year’s Day—Offices and schools closed
- January 4 – First semester SSL hours due
- January 8 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- January 18 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- January 21 – Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. Day—Offices and schools closed
- January 25 – Early release day for all students; end of quarter planning
- January 28 – Professional day for teachers; Coat Drive ends
- January 29- February 1 – The Great Kindness Challenge week
- February 4-8 – School Counseling week
- February 5 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- February 6 – Report cards distributed
- February 8 – Drama Club Carnival (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- February 14 – Valentine’s Day parties (2:30 pm – 3:15 pm)
- February 15 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- February 18 – Presidents’ Day—Offices and schools closed
- March 1 – Military Caregiver month; Early release day for all students
- March 5 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- March 21 – Spring Academic Night/STEM Fair (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- March 22 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- April 1 – Military Child month
- April 2 – Light It Up Blue (Autism Awareness Day); Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 3 – Paraprofessional Appreciation Day; Early release day for all students; end of quarter planning
- April 8-12 – PBIS Spirit Week
- April 10 – Drama Club parent meeting (7:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 12 – Career Day (9:15 am – 11:15 am) ; STEAM Day (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)
- April 16 – Report cards distributed
- April 17, 18, 19, 22 – Spring Break—No school for students and teachers; offices closed April 19 and 22
- April 24 – Secretaries’ Day
- April 25 – Take Your Child to Work Day
- April 26 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am); Volunteer Appreciation Brunch (10 am – 11 am)
- May 1 – National Military Appreciation month begins; School Principal’s Day
- May 6-10 – Children’s Mental Health Matters week; Teacher Appreciation week
- May 7 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 8 – National School Nurse Day
- May 16 – Spring Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 24 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- May 27 – Memorial Day—Offices and schools closed
- May 31 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- June 4 — Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 5 – Professional day for teachers
- June 6 – Field Day grades K-2
- June 7 – Field Day grades 3-5; second semester SSL hours due
- June 10 – PreK/PEP Promotion/Celebration (9:30 am – 10:30 am)
- June 11 – Kindergarten Promotion/Picnic (10 am – 11 am)
- June 12 – Grades 3-4 Awards/Picnic (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Grades 1-2 Awards (2 pm -3 pm); Grade 5 Promotion!
- June 13 – Last day of school for students! Early release day for all students
- June 14 – Professional day for teachers
- June 24 – Report cards mailed