Our class competition winner is in! Congratulations to Ms. Reymann’s class, who won the competition with 28 PTA members- they will enjoy an ice cream party from Carmen’s! The class that came in second was so close (26 members), that we will recognize them with a smaller acknowledgment TBD… Congratulations to Ms Rykoskey’s class! A big shout out to all this year’s PTA members- thanks so much for your support!
Giant A+ School Rewards programs has started! From September 7 to March 16, 2019, you can support Glen Haven Elementary School (up to two schools can be supported!):
- Visit www.giantfood.com and click REGISTER at to create your new online account, or
- Click on SIGN IN – MANAGE MY ACCOUNT – SAVINGS & REWARDS, to log on to your existing online account
- Once you are logged in to your account, you can select a school for A+ Rewards.
- You need your 12-digit GIANT CARD number found on the back of the card. If you have a GIANT CARD but do not know your number, call the GIANT CARD HOTLINE at 1-877-366-2668 and select Option #1. The representatives will be able to provide you your GIANT CARD number.
- If you need a GIANT CARD, please visit your local store to obtain one or visit www.giantfood.com and click on I NEED A GIANT CARD.
Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
- Sign up for eScrip at www.escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- Sign up and shop at www.smile.amazon.com. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA.
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
This Week and Next:
- November 20 – Report card distribution
- November 21 – Early release day for all students
- November 22 and 23 – Thanksgiving—Offices and schools closed
- November 23 – Coat Drive begins
Community Events and News:
Story Time at the National Postal Museum. Taking place every Monday, the program includes a book reading and activities for little ones in the museum’s education space. Stay to explore the rest of the museum, which is full of interactive exhibits that all ages can enjoy. Story Time is at 10:30am and repeated at 11am. Admission is free.
Local Libraries (http://host.evanced.info/montgomerycountymd/evanced/eventcalendar)
Silver Spring Library
Tuesday, November 20: Read to a Dog! Are you a beginning reader? Do you know someone who wants to improve his/her confidence and reading skills? Come read to a dog! They never correct, judge, or interrupt. Volunteers from the organization People Animals Love and their canine friends will be on hand to listen. (7 pm – 8 pm).
Saturday, November 24: Bilingual Storytime- Amharic. Please join us for a bilingual storytime just right for ages 3-9 years. Stories in English and Amharic, songs and rhymes, too! This program is designed to delight children of all ages. Filled with diverse stories and activities that promote and develop language skills and imagination. This program encourages children to develop a lifelong love of reading and learning, and introduce them to the culture of reading. (1:30 pm – 3:15 pm).
- English Conversation Club (Mondays at 11:30 am)
- Lunchtime Yoga Flow (Tuesdays at 12 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 3:30 pm)
- Baby Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Preschool Story Time (Tuesdays 1:30 pm)
- Toddler Story Time (Wednesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 6 pm)
- Lego Weekend Play (Saturdays at 12:30 pm; Sundays at 1 pm)
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays 6:30 pm)
- Toddler Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am)
- Building Block Time (Mondays and Wednesdays at 9:30 am)
- Me and You-kulele Sing-a-long (Thursdays 4 pm)
Kensington Park Library
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays at 7 pm)
- Chess Club (Tuesdays at 6 pm)
- Storytime for Babies (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Storytime for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Wednesdays at 11:15 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 5:30 pm)
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/elementary/guides.aspx
Montgomery Parks Programs and Activities – Montgomery County Recreation and Montgomery Parks have hundreds of exciting programs and classes to promote active and healthy lifestyles. For more information, visit ActiveMONTGOMERY (https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty).
The MCPS Parent Academy – Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
A Look Ahead:
- December 4 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- December 7 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- December 14 – Take-a-Flake gifts due
- December 17-21 – PBIS Spirit Week!
- December 20 – Winter Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- December 21 – Winter Concert/Sing-A-Long (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Winter Wonderland class parties (2 pm – 3:15 pm)
- December 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 31 – Winter Break—No school for students and teachers2019
- January 1 – New Year’s Day—Offices and schools closed
- January 4 – First semester SSL hours due
- January 8 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- January 18 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- January 21 – Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. Day—Offices and schools closed
- January 25 – Early release day for all students; end of quarter planning
- January 28 – Professional day for teachers; Coat Drive ends
- January 29- February 1 – The Great Kindness Challenge week
- February 4-8 – School Counseling week
- February 5 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- February 6 – Report cards distributed
- February 8 – Drama Club Carnival (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- February 14 – Valentine’s Day parties (2:30 pm – 3:15 pm)
- February 15 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- February 18 – Presidents’ Day—Offices and schools closed
- March 1 – Military Caregiver month; Early release day for all students
- March 5 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- March 15 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- March 21 – Spring Academic Night/STEM Fair (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 1 – Military Child month
- April 2 – Light It Up Blue (Autism Awareness Day); Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 3 – Paraprofessional Appreciation Day; Early release day for all students; end of quarter planning
- April 8-12 – PBIS Spirit Week
- April 10 – Drama Club parent meeting (7:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 12 – Career Day (9:15 am – 11:15 am) ; STEAM Day (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)
- April 16 – Report cards distributed
- April 17, 18, 19, 22 – Spring Break—No school for students and teachers; offices closed April 19 and 22
- April 24 – Secretaries’ Day
- April 25 – Take Your Child to Work Day
- April 26 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am); Volunteer Appreciation Brunch (10 am – 11 am)
- May 1 – National Military Appreciation month begins; School Principal’s Day
- May 6-10 – Children’s Mental Health Matters week; Teacher Appreciation week
- May 7 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 8 – National School Nurse Day
- May 16 – Spring Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 24 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- May 27 – Memorial Day—Offices and schools closed
- May 31 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- June 4 — Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 5 – Professional day for teachers
- June 6 – Field Day grades K-2
- June 7 – Field Day grades 3-5; second semester SSL hours due
- June 10 – PreK/PEP Promotion/Celebration (9:30 am – 10:30 am)
- June 11 – Kindergarten Promotion/Picnic (10 am – 11 am)
- June 12 – Grades 3-4 Awards/Picnic (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Grades 1-2 Awards (2 pm -3 pm); Grade 5 Promotion!
- June 13 – Last day of school for students! Early release day for all students
- June 14 – Professional day for teachers
- June 24 – Report cards mailed