Scholastic Book Fair: The Scholastic Book Fair is this week! Join us Monday through Thursday 8:40am-3pm, Thursday during Academic Night and Friday 8:40am-11am to find exciting books for your students. With any purchase over $1, get a ticket to win a basket with a selection of items from the fair! Students can vote for their favorite books at the fair and the most popular ones will be donated to the school’s media center!
Breakfast at the Book Fair! Join us for Breakfast at the Book Fair Wednesday morning 8:30-9am! Drop by before or after you drop off your student(s) to check out what the Book Fair has to offer this fall. We’ll have some small breakfast treats and coffee available.
Spirit Week: It’s Math Spirit Week this week!
- Monday: Doubles/Multiples Day. We’re seeing doubles and multiples! Dress like a twin.
- Tuesday: Math Mindset/Mental Health Day. Your mental health matters! Wear green today.
- Wednesday: Odd Day. Things look a little “odd”… Wear mismatched clothes!
- Thursday: Nifty Number Digit Day. Wear clothes that have a number on them.
- Friday: Pattern Palooza. Stripes, polka dots, checkered… wear any kind of pattern!
Academic Night: Glen Haven’s Fall Academic Night is this Thursday October 18. This is a fun learning-filled night for Glen Haven families with reading games, math puzzles, games, and other projects as well as and successful strategies to help children becoming life-long readers. The whole family can participate in hands-on activities that make math and reading fun. We’ll see you there!
Win an ice cream party! It’s time for PTA’s annual class competition- The class with the most PTA members by the end of October will win an ice cream party from Carmen’s! Please help your children(s) class(es) win by submitting a membership and encouraging others to do so! Memberships are just $10 and they are not limited to parents: grandparents, other family members, friends, and neighbors can support the school by joining! Simply complete and return the membership form with payment to your child’s teacher (click https://ghespta.org/2018/10/10/2018-2019-membership-form/)
International Night: International Night is just a month away on Thursday, November 15th from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. We are excited to host another one of our famous fashion shows! We are equally excited to share that we will be sharing our family traditions and cultural cuisine in a new format. This year we will be inviting families to share cultural artifacts, including food, at tables that will be organized by country. Our students will have a chance to travel around the world in just one night by visiting many of the countries our community represents! Look out for more information in your child’s Wednesday folder this week.
Kids Helping Kids Food Drive: Once again this year, Glen Haven will be participating in the Kids Helping Kids Food Drive. Please donate any non-perishable items (peanut butter, macaroni and cheese, canned vegetables, rice, tuna fish, cereal, etc.) between October 1 – 31, 2018. The classroom that collects the most food (in items) will win an ice cream party. Food will be donated to families in Montgomery County, Md. Thank you for your support!
Giant A+ School Rewards programs has started! From September 7 to March 16, 2019, you can support Glen Haven Elementary School (up to two schools can be supported!):
o Visit www.giantfood.com and click REGISTER at to create your new online account, or
- Click on SIGN IN – MANAGE MY ACCOUNT – SAVINGS & REWARDS, to log on to your existing online account
o Once you are logged in to your account, you can select a school for A+ Rewards.
o You need your 12-digit GIANT CARD number found on the back of the card. If you have a GIANT CARD but do not know your number, call the GIANT CARD HOTLINE at 1-877-366-2668 and select Option #1. The representatives will be able to provide you your GIANT CARD number.
o If you need a GIANT CARD, please visit your local store to obtain one or visit www.giantfood.com and click on I NEED A GIANT CARD.
Other ways to help out the PTA:
- Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
- Sign up for eScrip at www.escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
- Sign up and shop at www.smile.amazon.com. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA.
- Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
This Week and Next:
- October 18 – Fall Academic Night (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- October 22 to 26 – Red Ribbon week
- October 26 – Fall Fest 1:45 pm – 3:15 pm
Community Events and News:
- Mondays: Go to Story Time at the National Postal Museum. Taking place every Monday, the program includes a book reading and activities for little ones in the museum’s education space. Stay to explore the rest of the museum, which is full of interactive exhibits that all ages can enjoy. Story Time is at 10:30am and repeated at 11am. Admission is free.
Local Libraries (http://host.evanced.info/montgomerycountymd/evanced/eventcalendar)
Silver Spring Library
- Lego Weekend Play (Saturdays at 12:30 pm; Sundays at 1 pm)
- English Conversation Club (Mondays at 11:30 am)
- Lunchtime Yoga Flow (Tuesdays at 12 pm)
- Baby Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
- Preschool Story Time (Tuesdays 1:30 PM)
- Toddler Story Time (Wednesdays at 10:30 AM and 11:30 am)
- Homework Help (Thursdays at 6 pm)
- Me and You-kulele Sing-a-long (Thursdays 4 pm)
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays 6:30 pm)
- Toddler Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am)
- Building Block Time (Mondays and Wednesdays at 9:30 am)
Kensington Park Library
- Storytime for Babies (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
- Storytime for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Wednesdays at 11:15 am)
- Pajama Storytime (Mondays at 7 pm)
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/elementary/guides.aspx
Montgomery Parks Programs and Activities – Montgomery County Recreation and Montgomery Parks have hundreds of exciting programs and classes to promote active and healthy lifestyles. For more information, visit ActiveMONTGOMERY (https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty).
The MCPS Parent Academy – Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
A Look Ahead:
- November – Military Family month!
- November 6 – General Election Day— School closed
- November 7 – Early release day for all students; end of quarter planning
- November 8 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- November 9 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- November 12 – Parent conferences; Early release day for all students; Take-a-Flake begins
- November 13 – Parent conferences; Early release day for all students
- November 15 – International Night (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- November 20 – Report card distribution
- November 21 – Early release day for all students
- November 22 and 23 – Thanksgiving—Offices and schools closed
- November 23 – Coat Drive begins
- December 4 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- December 7 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- December 14 – Take-a-Flake gifts due
- December 17-21 – PBIS Spirit Week!
- December 20 – Winter Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- December 21 – Winter Concert/Sing-A-Long (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Winter Wonderland class parties (2 pm – 3:15 pm)
- December 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 31 – Winter Break—No school for students and teachers2019
- January 1 – New Year’s Day—Offices and schools closed
- January 4 – First semester SSL hours due
- January 8 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- January 18 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- January 21 – Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. Day—Offices and schools closed
- January 25 – Early release day for all students; end of quarter planning
- January 28 – Professional day for teachers; Coat Drive ends
- January 29- February 1 – The Great Kindness Challenge week
- February 4-8 – School Counseling week
- February 5 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- February 6 – Report cards distributed
- February 8 – Drama Club Carnival (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- February 14 – Valentine’s Day parties (2:30 pm – 3:15 pm)
- February 15 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- February 18 – Presidents’ Day—Offices and schools closed
- March 1 – Military Caregiver month; Early release day for all students
- March 5 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- March 15 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- March 21 – Spring Academic Night/STEM Fair (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 1 – Military Child month
- April 2 – Light It Up Blue (Autism Awareness Day); Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 3 – Paraprofessional Appreciation Day; Early release day for all students; end of quarter planning
- April 8-12 – PBIS Spirit Week
- April 10 – Drama Club parent meeting (7:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 12 – Career Day (9:15 am – 11:15 am) ; STEAM Day (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)
- April 16 – Report cards distributed
- April 17, 18, 19, 22 – Spring Break—No school for students and teachers; offices closed April 19 and 22
- April 24 – Secretaries’ Day
- April 25 – Take Your Child to Work Day
- April 26 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am); Volunteer Appreciation Brunch (10 am – 11 am)
- May 1 – National Military Appreciation month begins; School Principal’s Day
- May 6-10 – Children’s Mental Health Matters week; Teacher Appreciation week
- May 7 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 8 – National School Nurse Day
- May 16 – Spring Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 24 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- May 27 – Memorial Day—Offices and schools closed
- May 31 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- June 4 — Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 5 – Professional day for teachers
- June 6 – Field Day grades K-2
- June 7 – Field Day grades 3-5; second semester SSL hours due
- June 10 – PreK/PEP Promotion/Celebration (9:30 am – 10:30 am)
- June 11 – Kindergarten Promotion/Picnic (10 am – 11 am)
- June 12 – Grades3-4 Awards/Picnic (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Grades 1-2 Awards (2 pm -3 pm); Grade 5 Promotion!
- June 13 – Last day of school for students! Early release day for all students
- June 14 – Professional day for teachers
- June 24 – Report cards mailed