Fundraiser for childhood cancer: In recognition of September as Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, fifth grade will be launching a Coins4Kids Cancer Campaign to raise awareness of neuroblastoma and funds to support research to find a cure for this aggressive childhood cancer. Fifth grade will be delivering coin collection cups to each classroom on Thursday, September 27 to prepare for the campaign, which will be held on Friday, September 28. The money collected will be donated to the Children’s Neuroblastoma Cancer Foundation. To learn more about neuroblastoma, please visit https://www.coins4kids.org/.
Dads are awesome: “Dad’s Take Your Child to School Day” will be held this Friday, September 28 beginning at 8:40 a.m. Dads will be able to take pictures at a photo booth, walk their child to class, and then join us in the cafeteria for light refreshments and a presentation. Dads will then be invited to visit their child’s classroom until 10:00 a.m. We look forward to seeing you this Friday!
Glen Haven Beautification/ Friends of Sligo Creek Annual Sweep the Creek: This Saturday September 29, we will meet at the end of Windham Lane by the footbridge (behinx d Glen Haven Elementary School) and work our way back to Glen Haven Park and the school grounds. Gloves and trash bags will be provided. Event will be from 9am to 11am – rain or shine. Let’s help pick up the area around our school and work on building our community. Students will receive 25 Dojo Points for a minimum of 25-30 minutes of clean up. Please sign in upon arrival.
Family Movie Night: On Friday October 12, come join us for Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation! Free admission. Concessions will be for sale. Wear your PJs and bring a blanket to sit on. Doors open at 6:30pm and movie starts at 7pm. Sponsored by the Glen Haven Elementary PTA. This is not a drop off event, a parent or guardian must be present.
Student safety: As parents and caregivers, we often have questions about student safety. You can find information about how Montgomery County Public Schools approaches student safety at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2018-2019/Ensuring-Student-Safety.html
Class Dojo: Please make sure you set up a Class Dojo account for your child. Your child’s teacher has the information regarding how to set this up or you can click on this link- https://classdojo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205417305-Create-a-Parent-Account#web. The school uses Class Dojo for most communications so it is very important for you to have access to your child’s account and check for announcements daily.
Giant A+ School Rewards programs has started! From September 7 to March 16, 2019, you can support Glen Haven Elementary School (up to two schools can be supported!):
o Visit www.giantfood.com and click REGISTER at to create your new online account, or
- Click on SIGN IN à MANAGE MY ACCOUNT à SAVINGS & REWARDS, to log on to your existing online account
o Once you are logged in to your account, you can select a school for A+ Rewards.
o You need your 12-digit GIANT CARD number found on the back of the card. If you have a GIANT CARD but do not know your number, call the GIANT CARD HOTLINE at 1-877-366-2668 and select Option #1. The representatives will be able to provide you your GIANT CARD number.
o If you need a GIANT CARD, please visit your local store to obtain one or visit www.giantfood.com and click on I NEED A GIANT CARD.
Other ways to help out the PTA –
Help our PTA by purchasing items with the Box Tops for Education logo then clip and send them to school to be collected. The classroom that submits the most Box Tops each month will celebrate with a popcorn party and an overall winner will get a class pizza party at the end of the school year!
Sign up for eScrip at www.escrip.com earn special savings for you and money for the Glen Haven PTA.
Sign up and shop at www.smile.amazon.com. You’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the Glen Haven PTA.
Register your Giant card at https://giantfood.com/school-rewards/. For each purchase that you make, Giant will donate to Glen Haven Elementary.
- September 27 – English Class starts for parents (9 am – 11 am)
- September 28 – Dad’s Take Your Child to School Day (8:40 am – 10 am)
- October 2 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- October 3 – Drama Club parent meeting (5:30 pm – 6:30 pm)
- October 5 – Early release day for all students
Community Events and News:
- Go to Story Time at the National Postal Museum. Taking place every Monday, the program includes a book reading and activities for little ones in the museum’s education space. Stay to explore the rest of the museum, which is full of interactive exhibits that all ages can enjoy. Story Time is at 10:30am and repeated at 11am. Admission is free.
- Thursday, September 27
For three days, the Library of Congress is holding “Star Wars Under the Stars,” and will be screening the original trilogy episodes of the blockbuster series. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope will be shown at 7:30pm on the North Lawn of the Jefferson Building. Go early — characters from the film be available for photo ops beforehand starting at 6:30pm. Admission is free.
Local Libraries (http://host.evanced.info/montgomerycountymd/evanced/eventcalendar)
Silver Spring Library
Nontraditional Board Games Meetup (Sunday, September 30 at 1:30pm)
Lunchtime Yoga Flow – All Levels (October 2, at 12pm)
Bilingual French Storytime (October 2,at 6:30pm)
Silver Spring Library Chinese Book Discussion (October 2 at 6:30p)
Sahaja Yoga Meditation (October 4 at 7:30pm)
Lego Weekend Play (Saturdays at 12:30 pm; Sundays at 1 pm)
English Conversation Club (Mondays at 11:30 am)
Baby Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am and 11:30 am)
Preschool Story Time (Tuesdays 1:30 PM)
Toddler Story Time (Wednesdays at 10:30 AM and 11:30 am)
Homework Help (Thursdays at 6 pm)
Me and You-kulele Sing-a-long (Thursdays 4 pm)
Pajama Storytime (Mondays 6:30 pm)
Toddler Storytime (Tuesdays at 10:30 am)
Building Block Time (Mondays and Wednesdays at 9:30 am)
Kensington Park Library
English Conversation Club (October 1 at 1 pm)
Chess Club (October 2 at 6pm)
Storytime for Babies (Wednesdays at 10:30 am)
Storytime for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Wednesdays at 11:15 am)
Pajama Storytime (Mondays at 7 pm)
Parent guides to the Elementary school curriculum:
Montgomery Parks Programs and Activities – Montgomery County Recreation and Montgomery Parks have hundreds of exciting programs and classes to promote active and healthy lifestyles. For more information, visit ActiveMONTGOMERY (https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty).
The MCPS Parent Academy – Sign up for FREE workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
A Look Ahead:
- October 8 – Open House for parents and guardians
- October 12 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- October 18 – Fall Academic Night (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- October 22 to 26 – Red Ribbon week
- October 26 – Fall Fest 1:45 pm – 3:15 pm
- November – Military Family month!
- November 6 – General Election Day— School closed
- November 7 – Early release day for all students; end of quarter planning
- November 8 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- November 9 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- November 12 – Parent conferences; Early release day for all students; Take-a-Flake begins
- November 13 – Parent conferences; Early release day for all students
- November 15 – International Night (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- November 20 – Report card distribution
- November 21 – Early release day for all students
- November 22 and 23 – Thanksgiving—Offices and schools closed
- November 23 – Coat Drive begins
- December 4 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- December 7 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- December 14 – Take-a-Flake gifts due
- December 17-21 – PBIS Spirit Week!
- December 20 – Winter Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- December 21 – Winter Concert/Sing-A-Long (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Winter Wonderland class parties (2 pm – 3:15 pm)
- December 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 31 – Winter Break—No school for students and teachers2019
- January 1 – New Year’s Day—Offices and schools closed
- January 4 – First semester SSL hours due
- January 8 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- January 18 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- January 21 – Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. Day—Offices and schools closed
- January 25 – Early release day for all students; end of quarter planning
- January 28 – Professional day for teachers; Coat Drive ends
- January 29- February 1 – The Great Kindness Challenge week
- February 4-8 – School Counseling week
- February 5 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- February 6 – Report cards distributed
- February 8 – Drama Club Carnival (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- February 14 – Valentine’s Day parties (2:30 pm – 3:15 pm)
- February 15 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- February 18 – Presidents’ Day—Offices and schools closed
- March 1 – Military Caregiver month; Early release day for all students
- March 5 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- March 15 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am)
- March 21 – Spring Academic Night/STEM Fair (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 1 – Military Child month
- April 2 – Light It Up Blue (Autism Awareness Day); Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 3 – Paraprofessional Appreciation Day; Early release day for all students; end of quarter planning
- April 8-12 – PBIS Spirit Week
- April 10 – Drama Club parent meeting (7:30 pm – 8 pm)
- April 12 – Career Day (9:15 am – 11:15 am) ; STEAM Day (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)
- April 16 – Report cards distributed
- April 17, 18, 19, 22 – Spring Break—No school for students and teachers; offices closed April 19 and 22
- April 24 – Secretaries’ Day
- April 25 – Take Your Child to Work Day
- April 26 – 2nd Cup of Coffee- Merienda- Principal’s Book of the Month (8:40 am – 9:40 am); Volunteer Appreciation Brunch (10 am – 11 am)
- May 1 – National Military Appreciation month begins; School Principal’s Day
- May 6-10 – Children’s Mental Health Matters week; Teacher Appreciation week
- May 7 – Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 8 – National School Nurse Day
- May 16 – Spring Concert (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- May 24 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- May 27 – Memorial Day—Offices and schools closed
- May 31 – Drama Club performance (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- June 4 — Parent Information Session/PTA Meeting (6:30 pm – 8 pm)
- June 5 – Professional day for teachers
- June 6 – Field Day grades K-2
- June 7 – Field Day grades 3-5; second semester SSL hours due
- June 10 – PreK/PEP Promotion/Celebration (9:30 am – 10:30 am)
- June 11 – Kindergarten Promotion/Picnic (10 am – 11 am)
- June 12 – Grades3-4 Awards/Picnic (9:30 am – 10:30 am); Grades 1-2 Awards (2 pm -3 pm); Grade 5 Promotion!
- June 13 – Last day of school for students! Early release day for all students
- June 14 – Professional day for teachers
- June 24 – Report cards mailed