New GHES Principal – Congratulations to Mrs. Cassandra Heifetz who has been appointed by the Board of Education as the new principal of GHES! Please read her introduction letter here:
GHES Family Movie Night – The PTA can use your help this Friday, May 4th, for movie night. Please click on the link to see how you can volunteer! Thank you in advance!
Sligo Middle School Administration Change – The current Sligo MS Principal, Mr. Dimmick, and the Assistant Principal, Mr. Lear, are leaving. Mr. Dimmick will be the principal at Gaithersburg High School and Mr. Lear will be a Principal Intern. Due to this change in leadership, Sligo MS will be holding a community meeting on Tuesday, May 1st, at 6:00 pm. The MCPS Director of School Support and Improvement, Ms. Diane Morris, will be in attendance to collect your valuable input on the characteristics the community seeks in the new principal.
Special Education Parent Involvement Survey – Parents of students receiving special education services, make your voices heard and complete this survey by May 1st. Please see link for more information.
2017-2018 GHES Yearbooks!– It’s that time of year again to order your Yearbooks! Please see Ms. Rykoskey or Mrs. Vactor to purchase. Cost: $22 (checks payable to GHES) or cash accepted. Online orders can be made using a credit card at the link below:
Kindergarten Orientation – Do you have a child that will be 5 years old by September 1, 2018? If yes, then you can register your child for Kindergarten. Orientation will take place at Glen Haven ES on Thursday, May 3 and Friday, May 4 from 9:15 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Please call Ms. Perez at 301-649-8051 to set up your appointment for either day. *Please note- there will be NO Kindergarten classes for students currently (2017-2018) in Kindergarten on May 3 and May 4. All other grade levels (1st-5th) will have school on both days.*
Free English Class – Free English Class will meet every Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. This class will focus on conversational English and Language skills. Please come and join us!
Help out the PTA – Box tops, Amazon Smile, Mable’s Labels, CertifiKid, eScrips, and Giant. Please see the link below to see more information on how YOU and these organizations can help the GHES PTA.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hni70rrfmunsxof/Copy of PTAFundraisingFlyer.pdf?dl=0
- 5/1 – PTA Meeting– Please join us for pizza at 6:30pm. The meeting will begin at 7:00pm. We will be voting for our upcoming 2018-2019 PTA Board. Alphabest will provide childcare at 7:00pm.
- 5/3 – Kindergarten Orientation – At GHES from 9:15am – 2:00pm. No school for Kindergarten Classes
- 5/4 – Kindergarten Orientation – At GHES from 9:15am – 2:00pm. No school for Kindergarten Classes
- 5/4 – Movie Night- This is a Glen Haven Elementary PTA sponsored event. Admission is FREE. Doors open at 6:30pm, movie starts at 7:00pm! Concessions will be for sale! Wear your PJs and bring a blanket to sit on. This is NOT a drop off event. A parent or guardian must be present.
A Look Ahead:
- 5/7 – 5-11 Teacher Appreciation Week
- 5/9 – 5th Grade Panoramic Picture Day / Staff Group Picture
- 5/17 – Spring Concert
- 5/25 – Drama Club Performance
- 5/28 – Memorial Day – No School
- 6/1 – Drama Club Performance
- 6/5 – PTA Meeting
- 6/6 – Field Day (Kindergarten – 2nd grade)
- 6/7 – Field Day (3rd grade – 5th grade)
- 6/11 – PreK Promotion/Celebration
- 6/12 – Kindergarten Promotion/Picnic
- 6/13 – Grades 1 & 2 Awards Assembly/Picnic
- 6/14 – Grades 3 & 4 Awards Assembly/Picnic
- 6/14 – PEP Promotion at 2:00pm
- 6/14 – Grade 5 Promotion at 6:30pm
- 6/15 – Last day of school for students! – Early Release Day
The MCPS Parent Academy – Sign up for workshops at www.mcpsparentacademy.org
Cybersafety and Social Media – Wednesday, May 2nd, from 7:00pm – 8:30pm, at Hallie Wells Middle School (11701 Little Seneca Parkway, Clarksburg, MD 20871)
Active Parenting Now! (Part 1 of 6) – Thursday, May 3rd, from 6:30pm – 8:30pm, at Earle B. Wood Middle School (14615 Bauer Drive, Rockville, MD 20852)
Administrative Appointments – Please see the link for the Board of Education’s newly approved administrative appointments.
Gaithersburg Book Festival – Montgomery County Public Schools is proud to be a partner in the 2018 Gaithersburg Book Festival on Saturday, May 19th, on the grounds of Gaithersburg City Hall, 31 South Summit Avenue in Gaithersburg. See link for more information.
Silver Spring Library –
English Conversation Club (4/30 11:30am – 1:00pm)
Preschool STEM Storytime (5/5 11:00am – 12:00pm)
Lego Weekend Play (5/5 12:30pm – 5:30pm; 5/6 1:00pm – 4:30pm) http://host.evanced.info/montgomerycountymd/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=129791
STEM SMART: Chocolate (5/6 2:00pm – 4:00pm)
Wheaton Library –
Homework Help (4/30 4:30pm – 6:00pm)
Pajama Storytime (4/30 6:30pm – 7:00pm)
Homework Help (5/2 4:30pm – 6:00pm)
Me and You-kulele Sing-a-long (5/3 4:00pm -4:30pm)