2017-2018 GHES Yearbooks!– It’s that time of year again to order your Yearbooks! Please see Ms. Rykoskey or Mrs. Vactor to purchase. Cost: $22 (checks payable to GHES) or cash accepted. Online orders can be made using a credit card at the link below:
Preschool Education Program (PEP) – There are limited openings in the PEP classes at Glen Haven Elementary School. PEP classes enable students with and without disabilities to learn together in a five day per week half-day classroom setting. These classes meet Monday through Friday from 9:00am – 11:25am. If your child turns 3 by September 1, 2018, then they are eligible to enroll. The tuition is $150 per semester ($300 for the entire school year). Please contact Susan Schindler, PEP Parent Educator at 301.649.8051 ex. 126 for more information or to enroll your child. Applications can also be picked up in the Glen Haven Elementary School Main Office.
Pre-K Registration – Pre-K Registration will be held on Friday, April 20, 2018 from 9:00a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Glen Haven Elementary School. Interested parents should call the Pre-K office to set up a time to register at 301-230-0676. More information about Pre-K can be found at this website: http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/dtecps/earlychildhood/prek/registration.aspx
Kindergarten Orientation – Do you have a child that will be 5 years old by September 1, 2018? If yes, then you can register your child for Kindergarten. Orientation will take place at Glen Haven ES on Thursday, May 3 and Friday, May 4 from 9:15 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Please call Ms. Perez at 301-649-8051 to set up your appointment for either day. *Please note- there will be NO Kindergarten classes for students currently (2017-2018) in Kindergarten on May 3 and May 4. All other grade levels (1st-5th) will have school on both days.*
After School Programs – If you would like to sign up your child for after school programs please do so ASAP!
Mondays: Basketball (PreK-5th)- 4/16-6/4
Tuesdays: Dance (K-2nd)- 4/3-6/5 (Street Jazz)
Wednesdays: Cooking (Decadent Desserts) or Remote Control Robotics Engineering (K-5th) – 4/4-5/23
Thursdays: Dance (3rd-5th)- 4/5-6/7 (Ballet/Lyrical)
Thursdays: Karate (1st-5th)- 4/19-6/7
Fridays: Outdoor Soccer (PreK-5th)- 4/20-6/1
Fridays: Fashion Design (K-5th)- 4/6-5/25
Free English Class – Free English Class will meet every Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. This class will focus on conversational English and Language skills. Please come and join us!
Help out the PTA – Box tops, Amazon Smile, Mable’s Labels, CertifiKid, eScrips, and Giant. Please see the link below to see more information on how YOU and these organizations can help the GHES PTA.
- 4/16 – Picture Day – Students will be invited to take individual as well as class photos. To access a printable order form please click on the link below:
Please send in your order form and payment with your student on picture day. If you have any questions, feel free to call Classic directly at 1.800.869.9515.
- 4/16 – Dine Out Fundraiser at Five Guys (10510 Connecticut Avenue Kensington, MD 20895). Five Guys will donate 15% of your purchase from 5pm to 9pm to the GHES PTA.
- 4/19 – Report Card Distribution
- 4/21 – Annual Sweep the Creek – From 9:00am – 11:00am rain or shine. Please meet at the end of Windham Lane by the footbridge (behind GHES). We will clean up the community, working our way back to Glen Haven Park and school grounds. Gloves and trash bags will be provided. Students will receive 25 dojo points for a minimum of 25-30 minutes of clean up. Afterwards, please join everyone at the Community Fair from 11:00am – 1:30pm in the GHES cafeteria. There will be food and other items for purchase. If you would like to reserve your own table with activities and/or food please contact Jenny Valenzuela at 240.406.0461.
A Look Ahead:
- 4/23 – 4/27 Academic Spirit Week
- 4/23 – 4/27 Book Fair
- 4/26 – Spring Academic /STEM Fair Night
- 4/27 – 2nd Cup of Coffee/Merienda/Parent Meeting/PBOM
- 4/27 – Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast
Stay Alert Stay Alive Campaign – This campaign is part of Montgomery County’s Vision Zero initiative to reduce severe and fatal collisions among vehicle occupants, bicyclists and pedestrians. The National Safety Council has identified April as Distracted Driving Awareness month.
2017-2018 School Year – This academic school year has been extended to June 15. See link for more information.
Mental Health and Wellness Forum -MCPS and MCCPTA are jointly organizing the first-ever mental health and wellness forum on Sunday, April 22, 2018 from 1:00pm – 5:00pm at Gaithersburg High School. See this link for online registration form for the conference: https://goo.gl/forms/ eHVPgj6erLeoXxSW2
Special Education Summit – The summit will take place from 8:15 am – 1:00 pm on Saturday, April 28 at Quince Orchard High School, 15800 Quince Orchard Road in Gaithersburg. Click on the link for more information.
Silver Spring Library –
English Conversation Club (4/16 11:30am – 1:00pm)
AARP Tax Aide for Low-to-Moderate Income Taxpayers (4/17 9:30am – 7:00pm)
Read to a Dog (4/17 7:00pm – 8:00pm)
Vinyl Day Festival – Just for the Record (4/21 11:00am – 4:00pm)
Lego Weekend Play (4/21 12:30pm – 5:30pm; 4/22 1:00pm – 4:30pm)
Worms! (4/21 1:00pm)
STEM SMART: Crime Scene Investigations – Escape Room (4/22 2:00pm – 4:00pm)
Wheaton Library –
Homework Help (4/16 4:30pm – 6:00pm)
Homework Help (4/18 4:30pm – 6:00pm)