Diaper Drive – GHES is hosting a Diaper Drive from January 16-25 to help local families in need. There is a collection bin located in the lobby. Open packs of diapers will be accepted. Also being collected are wipes, formula, and pull ups. Thank you in advance!
Help the Drama Club – Does your child have any gently used toys or games you are trying to get rid of? The Drama Club is in need of gently used toys or games for the Drama Club Carnival. The Carnival will take place on Friday, February 2 from 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. All proceeds go toward taking the Drama Club on a field trip to Toby’s Dinner Theater in Columbia and the extra earnings will be used to buy props, costumes, and sets. Please donate any gently used toys or games as soon as possible to Ms. H. Williams, Ms. Talley, or Mrs. Pearson. Thank you for your support!
Grade 5 Green Team -The Grade 5 GHES Green Team would like to support the Drama Club request for toys by offering to repair or refresh any toys that might need a little TLC before being donated. Toys that the Green Team receives will be repaired (minor fixes) or refreshed (cleaned or beautified) and then given to Drama Club for their fundraiser in February.
Grade 5 Green Team would also like to request donations of any other small household items that they could work to Repair and Refresh as well. The Repair and Refresh concept was brainstormed by fifth grade to extend the already existing Reduce, Reuse, Recycle campaign. This project will give the fifth graders valuable experience in using the engineering design process to determine optimal solutions in repairing and refreshing real life items, as well as, helping to keep our school and community green.
Toys and household items in need of Repair/Refresh can be brought to Mrs. Pykosh in Room 409.
Thank you so much for supporting the Drama Club and the Grade 5 Green Team in these projects!
Free English Class – Every Thursday from 9:00am – 11:00am, Glen Haven Elementary School offers free English Class for parents focusing on conversational English and Language skills. Please come and join us!
GHES Annual Coat Drive – GHES is having their Annual Coat Drive from now until January 29, 2018. Please consider donating any new or gently used children and/or adult winter coats. Also, please wash the coats before donating. There is a bin in the school lobby to collect donations. All donated coats will be used by Glen Haven families. Thank you in advance for your donations!
Help out the PTA – Box tops, Amazon Smile, Mable’s Labels, CertifiKid, eScrips, and Giant. Please see the link below to see more information on how YOU and these organizations can help the GHES PTA.
Glen Haven Yearbook – If you’re interested in pre-ordering a GHES year please see the link https://classic-photo.mypaysimple.com/s/glen-haven-elementary-school
- 1/15 – Martin Luther King Jr. Day- Holiday (School and Offices Closed)
- 1/19 – 2nd Cup of Coffee/Merienda/Parent Meeting/PBOM – Ennis invites parents to school for a parent meeting and then into the classrooms to read to their child’s class (or another class that could use a reader). The Parent Meeting will provide information and resources regarding the DC Diaper Bank. Please arrive at 8:45 for the meet and greet. Then everyone will head to the classrooms at 9:30 for a dance party and to read the book of the month. Interested in being a volunteer reader? Feel free to contact your child’s teacher or contact Mrs. Jen Lucina at Jennifer_M_Lucina@mcpsmd.org
A Look Ahead:
- 1/25 – Early Release Day
- 1/26 – Professional Day for Teachers- No School for students
- 2/2 Drama Club Carnival
- 2/2 2/5 – Report Card Distribution
- 2/6 – PTA Meeting
- 2/14 – Class Valentine’s Day Party
- 2/16 – 2nd Cup of Coffee/Merienda/Parent Meeting/PBOM
- 2/19 – President’s Day- School and Offices Closed
Save the Date for MLK Day of Service – January 15 is Martin Luther King Day, Jr. See the link below to join service projects in the community to commemorate the life and work of Dr. King.
Silver Spring Library –
Read to a Dog (1/16 7:00pm – 8:00pm)
Homework Help (1/18 4:00pm – 8:00pm)
Lego Weekend Play (1/20 12:30pm – 5:30pm); 1/21 1:00pm – 4:30pm)
Wheaton Library –
Homework Help (1/17 4:30pm – 6:00pm)
Me and You-kulele Singalong (1/18 4:00pm – 4:30pm)