Weekly Scoop: Week of Aug. 29
If you haven’t noticed, the Glen Haven Weekly Scoop got a make-over! We hope you like it!
This week, your Wednesday folder will include a packet of information from the PTA. Please check it out! We look forward to seeing everyone at Back to School night! Please stop by our PTA table.
Clothing Drive! Clean out your closets and help support our school! (Because Reflex Math is fully funded, this $ will go to support our school!) The PTA, Ms. Caruso and Ms Fox will be jointly hosting a fundraiser, collecting clothing and small household items for the Unique Thrift Store in Wheaton. Bring your stuff to the school by September 12 – drop off in Ms. Fox’s room. The Unique Thrift Store will then donate $ back to the PTA, based on the weight of the clothing and items donated!
ATTENTION CERTIFIKID FANS: Use Promo Code GHES at checkout for $5 off a purchase of $30, and the Glen Haven PTA will receive $5! Head to http://www.certifikid.com/ if you aren’t already signed up to get their deals.
Looking for a way to help in your child’s classroom? Sign up to be a room parent! (Co-room parents are great too!) http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c4badae2aa1fe3-room/
We have some exciting after school programs this year – including Karate, Soccer, Basketball, Spanish, Cooking, and Lego Robotics. Learn more here!
- 9/5- NO SCHOOL! Labor Day
- 9/7- Back to School Night for PreK- 2nd Grade (6:30-8:00) Stop by our PTA table to learn more and join!
- 9/8- Back to School Night for 3rd-5th Grade (6:30-8:00) Stop by our PTA table to learn more and join!
A Look Ahead:
- 9/12- NO SCHOOL!
- 9/13- Our First PTA Meeting! Arrive at 6:30 for dinner and socializing. The meeting will start at 7. Come by to meet your PTA and learn more about our goals for the year! Free childcare will be provided by Alphabest.
- 9/16 – 2nd Cup of Coffee/Merienda/Principal’s Book of the Month Club: On the second Friday of the month, Dr. Ennis invites parents into the school to meet and then head into the classrooms to read to their child’s class (or another class that could use a reader). Dr. Ennis asks parents to arrive at 9:15 for a meet/greet and everyone will head to the classrooms at 9:45 for a dance party. Interested in joining the fun? Contact Mrs. Jen Lucina at Jennifer_M_Lucina@mcpsmd.org
- Does your family make use of Evans Parkway Park? Montgomery County Parks is looking for your feedback. svy.mk/2bjYhk8 .
- All MCPS volunteers must complete a child abuse and neglect training. Head here to complete the training, which takes about a half an hour. Alternatively, Glen Haven is opening up the computer lab to volunteers who want to complete the training there. Check out the schedule here.
- As you may have read, Gov. Hogan has issued an executive order, requiring that MD schools start after Labor Day and end by June 15. Head here to learn more. Michael Durso, the president of MoCo’s Board of Education posted a blog about the order, stating that decisions around school calendars should remain local. Head here to read his blog.