We are looking for parents to volunteer for Glen Haven’s 2016 STEAM Day celebrating Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math on March 23 from 1:30-3:50. Good news: you don’t have to be an expert in any of these fields – just willing to help the teachers. To sign up, contact Mary Elliot at email@example.com or by text 703-298-5674. Head here for more info.
Do you have an incoming Kindergartener? Or know someone who does? Orientation will be held May 12 & 13 from 9:45-3:15. Please call the main office to set up an appointment 301-649-8051
The PTA is planning on hosting our first Bake Sale on April 26 (the date of the MD primary). More info to come, but if you are interested in helping out by either donating baked goods or helping to sell baked goods, please contact Gayle Hope (yes, your Scoop author) at firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 703-489-1131
- March 14 – Pre-K/Head Start Registration begins. If you (or someone you know) wants to register for pre-K or Head Start, you can do so starting March 14. Children myst be 4 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2016, and families must be income eligible to apply. Head here for more info.
A Look Ahead
- March 21: Numbers & Patterns: Wear a jersey with numbers on it and/or patterns
- March 22: Dress for your favorite vacation: Wear vacation clothes!
- March 23: Wacky Wednesday! Wear your wackiest clothes!
- March 23 – Career Day/STEAM DAY – a Day Celebrating Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math!
- March 23 – Academic Night! 6-8 pm
- March 24 – NO SCHOOL
- March 25 – NO SCHOOL – Spring Break!!!
- April 5 – PTA Information Session
- April 8 – 2nd Cup of Coffee/Merienda
- April 22 – Wendy’s Night Out Fundraiser
Community Events/Other News
- The Board of Education has officially appointed Dr. Jack Smith as our new Superintendent of Schools. His 4-year contract starts July 1.
- Report on school choice/special programs – a BOE-commissioned report was issued last week on school choice and special programs finding that changes should be made to improve opportunities for students from low-income families. The report includes eight findings and 11 recommendations. MCPS will hold three “community dialogues” about the report, including one on April 18 at John F. Kennedy High School in Silver Spring. Learn more: here’s the Exec Summary and Full Report.
- Did you know that Glen Haven ES will have a yearbook (40 pages, hard cover!) this year? You can buy yours for $22 by cash, check or online (ybpay.lifetouch.com job #: 2943916) Do you have a local business and want to support our school with an ad? Or are you a parent/grandparent who wants to wish your child good luck in year ahead/congrats on a great year? Buy an ad: Full Page ($60); ½ page ($30) and ¼ page ($15)
- Curious about where the Board of Education stands on various education-related state legislation? Here’s a memo you should check out.