THIS FRIDAY! Eat out at Wendy’s and support the Glen Haven PTA! Join us on FRIDAY, Feb. 19 at the Wendy’s in Downtown Wheaton where a portion of the night’s sales will go to our PTA. Drive through counts and you don’t have to bring a flyer with you. (Wendy’s has healthy options too!)
Have you been collecting BoxTops? Remember to send them in. Not familiar with boxtops? You can learn more here. You can find box tops on hundreds of items, including Annie’s Mac & Cheese, Cheerios, Ziploc bags, and Nature Valley Granola bars.
Mark your Calendars for Glen Haven Elementary’s 2016 STEAM Day Celebrating Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math – March 23 from 1:30-3:50. We need parent volunteers to help in the classroom. (You DO NOT need to be a scientist/tech whiz/engineer/artist/mathematician to volunteer. Volunteers assist teachers in the classrooms.) To sign up, contact Mary Elliot at firstname.lastname@example.org or by text 703-298-5674. Head here for more info.
Did you know that Glen Haven ES will have a yearbook (40 pages, hard cover!) this year? You can buy yours for $22 by cash, check or online (ybpay.lifetouch.com job #: 2943916) Do you have a local business and want to support our school with an ad? Or are you a parent/grandparent who wants to wish your child good luck in year ahead/congrats on a great year? Buy an ad: Full Page ($60); ½ page ($30) and ¼ page ($15)
* Feb. 15. NO SCHOOL. President’s Day.
* Feb. 19 Eat out at Wendy’s and support the Glen Haven PTA! Join us on Feb. 19 at the Wendy’s in Downtown Wheaton where a portion of the night’s sales will go to our PTA. Drive through counts and you don’t have to bring a flyer with you. (Wendy’s has healthy options too!)
* Feb. 19 Drama Club Carnival. Come to the carnival after eating out at Wendy’s! 6:30-8:30 Support the Drama Club while playing games and winning prizes! $1 admission; tickets cost 25 cents each (The cost of games and food will vary) Cash only.
A Look Ahead
* Feb. 24 – Keep an eye out! 3rd Quarter interim reports will be sent home with students
* Feb. 26 – Early release!
* March 1 – Mark your calendar! PTA Meeting
Community Events/Other News
* The Board of Education approved a $2.5 billion Operating Budget for Fiscal Year (FY) 2017. The request includes a $180.2 million increase from FY 2016, which will allow the district to “make targeted investments to close the achievement gap; improve students’ literacy and math skills; reduce class sizes; foster stronger partnerships with the community and families to support students; and accelerate efforts to improve and diversify the workforce.”
* The County asked Gov. Hogan for additional funding for our growing school system. Check out their letter here.
* Support the Wheaton Rescue Squad by attending their 2nd Annual Shrimp & Oyster feast on Sun., March 6 from 1-5. Tix cost $45 and include all the steamed shrimp, fried oysters, raw oysters, spiral sliced ham, sides, beer, and sodas you care of have. http://alumni.wvrs.org/shrimpandoyster.html