The Glen Haven Elementary Weekly Scoop is BACK! Cue the groans about school starting. For anyone new – welcome to the Glen Haven PTA online community! Each Monday you’ll get a Weekly Scoop in your inbox providing you with a quick update on what’s happening at school. Please share this message far and wide and encourage your friends & neighbors to join our listserv.
A few housekeeping items
Bell Times Have Changed: In case you missed it (ICYMI) – last year the MoCo school system changed school start/finish times in order to provide high school students with a bit more sleep. New School Hours: 9:25 a.m. – 3:50 p.m. Students may enter the building at 9:05 a.m. (school wide breakfast is available at this time) and students will be dismissed at 3:50 p.m. The Crossing Guard located at the front of the school will be on post from 8:55 a.m. – 9:25 a.m. and then in the afternoon from 3:45 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.
We are on Facebook! Yes, the Glen Haven PTA has a Facebook page and yours truly is among those posting. Please like us – and tell your friends to like us too!
Check out our Website! And don’t forget we have a website too!
PTA Parent Information Fair: Join us on Sept. 1 for our first PTA Parent Information Fair (aka our first meeting)! Learn about the PTA! Find out about plans for the 2015-1016 school year and how you can get involved! Meet other parents! Dinner/meet & greet will take place from 6:30-7; the information fair will run from 7-8. Free childcare will be provided.
Up This Week
• Friday, Aug. 28: Glen Haven Elementary Open House from 1-3. Join us at the Glen Haven Open House and meet your teachers and our principal, Dr. Jane Ennis. Also, stop by the PTA table and become a member for the 2015-2016 school year. (PTA dues are $10 for an individual or $15 for a family)
A Look Ahead
• Aug. 31 – FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!
• Sept. 1 – PTA Parent Information Fair
Our first Spirit Week is the first week of school – it’s like a test for parents to make sure we are paying attention!
• Sept. 1 – Pajama Day (please note students should wear sneakers/regular shoes)
• Sept. 2 – Hat & Cap Day!
• Sept. 3 – Crazy Hair Day!
• Sept. 4 – School Spirit Day
• Sept. 7 – NO SCHOOL – Labor Day
• Sept. 9 – Back to School Night for Pre-K through 2nd Grade: Come meet your teachers and learn about the curriculum.
• Sept. 10 – Back to School Night for 3rd through 5th Grade: Come meet your teachers and learn about the curriculum.
• Sept. 14 – NO SCHOOL
Community Events/Other News
• Play a role in determining future library services! Attend the County Executive’s Library of the Future Summit on Sept. 24 at the Silver Spring Civic Building from 9-4. The morning portion of the Summit will use “Google Hangout on Air” live to the Gaithersburg Library. The line up will include MCPL Director Parker Hamilton, County Executive and County Council President George Leventhal and Susan Benton, President and CEO of the Urban Libraries Council. (Continental breakfast will be offered at both locations; lunch will be provided at the Silver Spring location) Can’t attend? Weigh in on Twitter with the #MCPLFuture hashtag or via Facebook. You can also submit thoughts via the online feedback form.
• More than 54,000 MCPS students receive free & reduced price meals and many families struggle to afford basic necessities like school supplies. For as little as $10 you can provide a student with a backpack filled with supplies. Last year, 360 students at Glen Haven benefited from the program. To learn more (and donate), check out the site.