Special Education Parent Involvement Survey – Parents of students receiving special education services, make your voices heard and complete this survey by May 1st. Please see link for more information.
2017-2018 GHES Yearbooks!– It’s that time of year again to order your Yearbooks! Please see Ms. Rykoskey or Mrs. Vactor to purchase. Cost: $22 (checks payable to GHES) or cash accepted. Online orders can be made using a credit card at the link below:
Preschool Education Program (PEP) – There are limited openings in the PEP classes at Glen Haven Elementary School. PEP classes enable students with and without disabilities to learn together in a five day per week half-day classroom setting. These classes meet Monday through Friday from 9:00am – 11:25am. If your child turns 3yo by September 1, 2018, then they are eligible to enroll. The tuition is $150 per semester ($300 for the entire school year). Please contact Susan Schindler, PEP Parent Educator at 301.649.8051 ex. 126 for more information or to enroll your child. Applications can also be picked up in the Glen Haven Elementary School Main Office.
Kindergarten Orientation – Do you have a child that will be 5 years old by September 1, 2018? If yes, then you can register your child for Kindergarten. Orientation will take place at Glen Haven ES on Thursday, May 3 and Friday, May 4 from 9:15 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Please call Ms. Perez at 301-649-8051 to set up your appointment for either day. *Please note- there will be NO Kindergarten classes for students currently (2017-2018) in Kindergarten on May 3 and May 4. All other grade levels (1st-5th) will have school on both days.*
Free English Class – Free English Class will meet every Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. This class will focus on conversational English and Language skills. Please come and join us!
Help out the PTA – Box tops, Amazon Smile, Mable’s Labels, CertifiKid, eScrips, and Giant. Please see the link below to see more information on how YOU and these organizations can help the GHES PTA.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hni70rrfmunsxof/Copy of PTAFundraisingFlyer.pdf?dl=0
- 4/23 – 4/27 Academic Spirit Week
4/23 – “Cozy Up to Learning!” Wear pajamas and sneakers.
4/24 – “Hats off to Academics!” Wear a hat.
4/25 – “Sock it to Learning?! Wear crazy or mismatched socks.
4/26 – “We are all Scientists!” Dress like a scientist.
4/27 – “Show PBOM Spirit!” Wear purple to support military families.
4/23 – open from 8:40am – 3:00pm
4/24 – open from 8:40am – 3:00pm
4/25 – open from 8:40am – 3:00pm
4/26 – open from 8:40am – 3:00pm and 6:00pm – 8:00pm
4/27 – open from 8:40am – 11:40am
- 4/26 – Spring Academic Night – From 6:00pm – 7:30 pm. You are invited to visit the science fair, play academic games, see the cell art show, visit the book fair, and more! Also, students who attend will receive 10 dojo points.
- 4/27 – 2nd Cup of Coffee/Merienda/Parent Meeting/PBOM – Ennis invites parents to school for a parent meeting and then into the classrooms to read to their child’s class (or another class that could use a reader). Please arrive at 8:45 for the meet and greet. The Parent Meeting will start at 9am. The topic is “Focusing on the Military Child.” Then everyone will head to the classrooms at 9:30 for a dance party and to read the book of the month. Interested in being a volunteer reader? Feel free to contact your child’s teacher or contact Ms. Lucina at Jennifer_M_Lucina@mcpsmd.org Show PBOM spirit by wearing purple to honor military families during the Month of the Military Child.
- 4/27 – Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast – At 10:00am following PBOM.
A Look Ahead:
- 5/1 – PTA Meeting
- 5/3 – Kindergarten Orientation
- 5/4 – Kindergarten Orientation
- 5/4 – Movie Night
- 5/7 – 5-11 Teacher Appreciation Week
- 5/9 – 5th Grade Panoramic Picture Day / Staff Group Picture
- 5/17 – Spring Concert
- 5/25 – Drama Club Performance
- 5/30 – Field Day (Kindergarten – 2nd grade)
- 5/31 – Field Day (3rd grade – 5th grade)
GTLD Network’s Book Swap and Discussion – Thursday, April 26 from 6:30pm – 8:30pm at Walter Johnson High School (6400 Rock Spring Dr, Bethesda, MD 20814) in the Media Center.
Parents are always searching for new insights and tools to help our kids. As a result, we can amass a good number of books and guides in our homes! In the spirit of spring cleaning and sharing resources as a parent network, join us for our first-ever book swap. Please bring to the meeting any books you have found useful and get ready to take home some new ones!
We’ll also have a group discussion led by Buffy Elliott about our March book club selection, The Self-Driven Child, co-written by local experts Dr. William Stixrud and Ned Johnson. Please RSVP to Buffy Elliott at firstname.lastname@example.org or text 703-298-5674.
Special Education Summit – The summit will take place from 8:15 am – 1:00 pm on Saturday, April 28 at Quince Orchard High School, 15800 Quince Orchard Road in Gaithersburg. Click on the link for more information.
MCPS School Health Services – See below to learn more about the health services provided through Montgomery County Public School
Wheaton Rescue Squad 4th Annual Shrimp & Oyster Feast – Support the Wheaton Rescue Squad on Sunday, April 29, from 1:00pm – 5:00pm. See the link for more details.
Silver Spring Library –
English Conversation Club (4/23 11:30am – 1:00pm)
Children’s Day/Book Day Celebration (4/28 11:00am)
Lego Weekend Play (4/28 12:30pm – 5:30pm; 4/22 1:00pm – 4:30pm) http://host.evanced.info/montgomerycountymd/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=129790
Bilingual Storytime- Amharic (4/28 1:30pm – 3:15pm)
Wheaton Library –
Homework Help (4/23 4:30pm – 6:00pm)
Pajama Storytime (4/23 6:30pm – 7:00pm)
Homework Help (4/25 4:30pm – 6:00pm)
Me and You-kulele Sing-a-long (4/26 4:00pm -4:30pm)